Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eccentric

eccentric

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hi,

Here is the scenario...

I use alternate configuration for my LAN adapter to connect it from one of my customer's site, I type in the Ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers and it work fine. I have to frequently change my network settings from "obtain Ip address automatically" to static IP address based on the location. Earlier I would go to Alternate address and connect without typing the default gateway and dns server as they would be all there. I had my laptop reimaged and now I have to type the default gateway and DNS Servers everytime I connect to my customers network. So, the difference is need not type teh default gateway and DNS server Ip addresses and now I have to...Wondering how to fix this issue because I am tired of typing them again and again.

Any solutions will be appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

Just guessing here (I've had the same issue with my laptop for several years and have never fixed it) - but is the Network Location Awareness service started on the system? Go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Scroll down to this service and check it's status.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

Hi eccentric and usasma.

There is a nifty program called Netswitcher for all the people who are in this situation.

Netswitcher

#4 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

Did you check the TCP/IP properties for that network connection?

Sounds like it is attempting to utilize DHCP protocol to obtain an IP address automatically; when the network adapter is unable to connect to or contact a DHCP server, it is reverting to using APIPA (automatic private IP address). You should configure that specific network connection to use a static IP address via the TCP/IP properties.

Open your network connections:

| Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections |

Select the connection you want to configure the TCP/IP properties for.

| right-click desired network connection >> Properties |

In the list box which indicates "This connection uses the following items:" highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. This will bring up the TCP/IP Properties applet, which contains two tabs listed General and Alternate Configuration.

> The General tab allows you to choose to use DHCP or use a static IP address, as well as choose whether to use DHCP to obtain a DNS server automatically or use a statically declared DNS server.
> The Alternate configuration tab allows you to choose to use APIPA if a DHCP server is unable to be reached or use an Alternate static IP address.

This should help you to manually configure the IP address, Subnet mask, Default gateway, DNS server, and WINS servers as needed.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users