Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xoftspy 409 good or bad?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissypa

Chrissypa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

Does anyone know if this spyware remover is any good? My friend bought it and I was wondering? I know there are some out there that shouldn't be used. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Go Steelers!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

I installed Xoftspy and soon removed it. It may or may not be reliable - I just found it aggravating.

In my case, I installed it in my D:\Apps partition. Xoftspy assumes everyone installs it in the C:\ OS partition - and thus updates were installed in the wrong location (the update program actually created a new folder on C:\ and dumped the update files there). Any program that can't find the location of the installed program folder when applying updates is not properly written.

The only spyware program I've purchased is SpywareDoctor. I recommend it. Both the real-time scanner and on-demand scanners perform well. Frequent updates. No interference with my other real-time scanners (PC-cillin and Trojan Hunter).

Hope this helps!

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:31 PM

This is common problem that many have. What I can not get is why would you pay for a spyware remover even if you can get another one free? And most of these paid ones give false readings on there demo's to make you buy them and they give adds after you buy them.

Adaware does not.

Its never made sense to me.....(im not being mean here sorry if it sounds that way)

This is a whole list with details of all the bad removes out there. Take a look:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#sites

Also try the free adaware copy:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Hope this helps

#4 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I have adaware and Spybot S&D. But I thought maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a third. Again thanks for the info!
Go Steelers!!

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

Your welcome!

Let me say this though there is another I know of thats like a all in one tool. Its spysweeper I use it and the copy is only 29.95. Or you can use it free but some features are removed after 30days....

Check it out:
http://www.webroot.com/?rc=266&ac=654

It was rated number 1 by pc magazine in 2004 and for a good reason!

Hope this helps see you around!

#6 Chrissypa

Chrissypa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:22 PM

Thanks I'll try it!
Go Steelers!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic