Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Extremely Slow / Registry Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 michael g.

michael g.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

I recently ran a registry cleaner and I think it might have deleted some necessary items because right after I restarted the computer, it was extremely slow. I have rebooted several times, and the computer stays the same. I have tried a system restore many times, but it tells me that the computer cannot be restored to this date and time.

Is there a program or something I can use to find out if I am missing any necessary components of my registry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

I would suggest trying a last good configuration, if this fails then you may have to use you XP installation to make a repair. Any time that you use a registry cleaning utility you should back up your registry first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:29 AM

Can you tell us the name of the Registry Cleaner.

Also some registry cleaners will save a back-up of the registry beofre the scan. You should open the registry cleaner then check for any back-up function or contact the registry cleaner company or author on how to do this.

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hi michael g..

Now you know to never mess with the Registry before you do a thorough Registry backup.

There is only one good, easy way that I know:

ERUNT

This will automatically make a complete Registry backup every time you start up your PC.

I think that all so-called Registry "cleaners" are bogus.

Edited by WinCrazy, 21 September 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:25 AM

Since system restore and last known good configuration don't work - I'd have to suggest a repair of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

You can try manually replacing the registry hives from stored system restore points, but you'll have to be outside of Windows to do this and it only works about 1/2 of the time (and it can make the system even worse).

Edited by usasma, 22 September 2007 - 06:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users