Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advpack.dll Blocks All Ms Updates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 broe

broe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

For several months, when I try to install MS updates for XP, Office 2000 (Word, Excel, etc), they download and start to install, the I get error message: "Error creating process <C:\DOCUME~1\user name\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\ohotfix.exe>. ReasonWINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll"

Error suggests advpack.dll is blocking installations. I have tried manually changing all (11) advpack.dll versions in system32, i386, dll cache, etc, to various other versions. When I started this, had v. 6.0.2900.2180 published 5/8/05 in two locations, and v. 7.0.6000.16512 published 4/25/07 in others. Have tried making all v. 6.0.2900.2180, all v. 7.0.6000.16512, and even tried an older version from 2004. No change, same error.

Then tried removing all advpack.dlls, just for the heck of it. Not hiding, not renaming, I removed them all to an external disk and turned that disk off. Thorough search shows no advpack.dlls in system.

After reboot with all known advpack.dlls removed, on attempting to install updates, I get same error - Reason is advpack.dll in system32. There is no advpack.dll in system32 or anywhere else!!! I removed them all. I checked before and after. It had not been mysteriously replaced from or to anywhere on system. advpack.dll is nowhere that I can find on this machine. Yet, the error says advpack.dll in system32 is the reason for the error.

This happens with all XP, MS related updates. I tried autopatch for August 07, sadly the last autopatch there will be. It installs the updates, sort of. They are listed in add/remove as installed but with yellow exclamation icon and all are .75 MB in size. This is true of security and other updates, however .NET 3 installed fine via autopatch, apparently.

BTW, web references for advpack.dll state that it is required for proper operation. Either I have missed removing some of the advpack.dlls or it is not needed.... because obviously the machine is working fine.

Also, all third party installations work without a hitch. No other known issues.

It was not long after advpack.dll v. 7.0.6000.16512 was installed (4/26/07) that this problem started. Please note however, I replaced all advpack.dlls with older version, and still installation of updates failed with same error message. What package was this .dll a part of?

Suggestions? I've searched around, and tried what I could think of?

Dell Inspiron 9300, XP sp2, 2.13 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB HHD, 300 GB Segate external HD, minimally tweaked

Edited by broe, 20 September 2007 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Bump. New info.

Deep scan with up-to-date avast, spybot, adaware, all in Safe Mode -> nothing. Kapersky on-line, HjT, Rootkit Revealer, Mandiant Red Curtain, Spysweeper, Trojan Remover, ISeeYouXP, Show New, Total Uninstall, all run properly -> nothing remarkable. Comodo logs show no red flags.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Dell Inspiron 9300, XP Pro sp2, 2.13 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB HHD, 300 GB Segate external HD, minimally tweaked

Edited by broe, 28 September 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

You might try this
Mark
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

Have you tried sfc /scannow?

#5 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:44 AM

@garmanma,

.NET 2.0 Redistributable (dotnetfx.exe v2) is/was already installed and apparently intact as a number of programs require it and run properly. Even so, I got the dotnetfx.exe v2 original file from my download cache on external drive and reinstalled it. All seemed to go well with reinstall. Than, rebooted, tried installing MS updates, twice, failed twice.

I'm not sure why you suggested reinstalling .NET 2.0 Redistributable. Is advpack.dll is part of .NET 2 (1/22/2006)? It would be an older version than 7.0.6000.16512 published 4/25/07. I reinstalled advpack.dll v. 7 to all previous advpack.dll locations since last post. None of those were changed after .NET 2 reinstall. Anyway, reinstalling .NET 2.0 didn't resolve the problem.

Thanks for comment. Any other thoughts?

#6 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

@Amazing Andrew

Good suggestion. Started sfc /scannow, it asked for XP cd Attached File  scannow2.gif   7.34KB   6 downloads which suggests corrupt cache. I have XP dvd from Dell. Put it in, ran, stopped a few times and asked for XP cd2. Don't have a second cd, so just hit retry. Finally appeared to finish, stopped asking for cd2 and progress window, Attached File  scannow1.gif   5.83KB   9 downloads went to completion, no "finished" window though.

I386 folder in XP dvd is 377 MB in size. C:\I386 folder is 1.12 GB. Some of the files in XP dvd I386 are not in C:\I386 folder, even though C:\I386 folder is three time larger. ???

Also, I have no C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder, only C:\I386. I thought C:\I386 was just a backup for C:\WINDOWS\I386. I thought the registry points to C:\WINDOWS\I386 to get all the stuff from I386. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe it doesn't matter. I'm just trying to come up with a plausible explanation/solution.

If successful installation of MS updates requires (registry points to) C:\WINDOWS\I386 and it isn't there, could that cause my installation problem? Is there supposed to be an I386 folder in Windows?

Edited by broe, 30 September 2007 - 04:18 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:29 AM

Hmmm...might take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328096 .

C:'Windows\driver cache\i386 is a common location in XP, I believe.

Louis

#8 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

@ Louis

The MS reference you gave appears to be specifically for XP sp1 systems. Mine is sp2. Appears not to apply.

You are correct about C:Windows\driver cache\i386. Don't know why it was not identified in previous search. Interesting that it is only 87 MB.

I got impatient this morning so I copied contents of XP dvd I386 folder to C:\I386, now 1.31 GB in size. Then copied C:\I386 and created C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder with all contents of C:\I386.

Now I have I386 folders in C:\, C:\WINDOWS, C:\WINDOWS\Driver cache, C:\I386\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR, C:\I386\CMPNENTS\NETFX, C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1\Lib, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\lib, C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\XPSEP\i386.

So I have I386 folders within I386 folders. Hmmmm... Also, all these are different sizes, each containing some same, some different files. Various I386 folders range from a few MBs to 1.31 GBs in size.

HDD has a little less free space now but system running well. However, still not able to install MS updates successfully. Error message is the same: "Error creating process <C:\DOCUME~1\user name\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\ohotfix.exe>. ReasonWINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll"

Edited by broe, 30 September 2007 - 04:32 PM.

#9 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

Bump. New Info. The following excerpts from ZDNet, Posted by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes @ 12:15 am, September 27th, 2007, @ http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=817 suggest a similar problem as the one I have described.

"Remember that Stealth Update I talked about a couple of weeks ago? The one that Microsoft sent down the pipes to XP and Vista users and installed it irrespective of whether the user had given consent for updates to be installed?
Information uncovered by Scott Dunn of WindowSecrets.com indicated that a bug in this update prevented users from being able to download and install patches on XP systems that have been repaired."

"After running the repair option from an XP CD-ROM, Automatic Updates defaults to "on", and the new 7.0.600.381 executables are automatically downloaded and installed. These new executables fail to register themselves with the operating system, preventing Windows Update from working as intended. This, in turn, prevents Microsofts 80 latest updates from being installed."

ZDNet also replicated the problem. Several times on several OSes. Results: All 80 updates slated for installation failed with no indication as to why and with no offer of a remedy to the problem. Trying to re-download the updates meets the same conclusion.

The article ends, "Without a doubt, Windows Update is totally broken."

I checked, I have the 7.0.600.381 executables, i.e., the stealth updates, putting me in the "7% and growing" XP users experiencing this problem. Have you or anyone you know successfully downloaded/installed Windows updates recently after running XP repair? I'm asking.

Edited by broe, 05 October 2007 - 12:11 AM.

#10 broe

broe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:10 AM

From http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9039258

"Dunn pointed out workarounds [to Windows silent upgrade blocking needed patches after restoring XP], which include force installing an older version of WU over the top of 7.0.600.381"

It's times like this....

Edited by broe, 05 October 2007 - 02:10 AM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:29 AM

There's a .bat file to run-from another forum:
"Due to a July update if someone performs a repair install they will have problems installing 80 of the latest patches. There is a .bat/.cmd file you can create to register required files for the updates to install successfully.

CODE
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

[url="http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070927/#story1""]http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070927/#story1"[/url]
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users