Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non Raid Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 *brian*

*brian*

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi
I dont like to ask this but oh what the heck. The problem is that in the days of Windows 95/98 & early XP installed in a Pentium 111 computer with 250/500mb memory and a 20/80gb hard drive I used to think that I was quite an "expert"
at building my own computers (and the occasional one for family and friends)
Now after a number of years using my last build of a pentium3 1000 with windows XP (Which is still going strong) I have rekindled my old enthusiasm for sitting up half the night messing about with computer bits again.
I became more bewildered however as I tried to catch up with what has been happening during my absence from this "insane" world of computer addiction but decided that I wanted to have a go at putting another computer together again. The parts I have chosen as the basis for the machine (or perhaps they chose me) were :-

System: VISTA Ultimate
Motherboard : Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6600
Memory: 2gb OCZ PC2 6400 DDR2 Dual ch Platinum rev.2 memory
Graphics Card: Sapphire Ati Radeon HD2600XT 256mb GDDR4
Hard Drives : 2 x 250GB x16mb Western Digital SATA11

(Incidently since purchasing these "Goodies" I see they are already out of date and I havent even put them together yet.)
Now we are coming to the embarrasing part of this report. When I last built a computer RAID was something that we didnt really bother about. Ive got a rough idea now what its all about but I think I would prefer to install the 2 drives Ive got now as NON RAID. Dont laugh but I could do with some advice on how to do this on the ASUS P5W DH deluxe motherboard. There is so much information in the handbook about how to configure the motherboard and bios for various RAID setups 0, 1, 5, 10 but nothing about installing the hard drives as just NON RAID drives .
I would appreciate it very much if I could have some advice about this please.

ie. What connectors do I use on the motherboard for my 2 hard drives? I see there are Intel 1CH7R SATA connectors JMicron SATA connectors, Asus EZ Backup SATA connectors as well as some IDE connectors.

It does mention that the 1CH7R SATA connectors are set to Standard IDE mode by default but they can be changed in the bios to AHCI or RAID (what does that mean and what should I set them to for NON RAID SATA11 drives?)

I could go on but I dont want to sound like Im a complete idiot. As I said any advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards
*brian*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:10 AM

Basically, you'll just put the parts together and let it rip. As long as you stick with the defaults the only major issue that you'll encounter is the loading of the SATA drivers. And, just follow the Asus guide for this and all should work well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users