Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Firewall Is Slowing Me Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 javajanet

javajanet

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

Richie just helped me clean my computer. I now have antispyware, anti virus ware, and the jetico firewall. My question is this - I read the tutorial and I still am confused about what to answer to the popups I get every 5 seconds asking if I should block or allow. It is very frustrating and I just turned it off! Which I KNOW that isn't the answer - but I don't know what svchost is or all the other Q's my firewall keeps asking me to allow or deny. How do I know the right answer? Janet
Frankly, I just started "eeny meeny myne moing"! to pick my answer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:38 AM

I hope there is something in this brief guide to the Jetico Personal Firewall that will help.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks. I'll check it out when I stop typing to you! When I saw that I had a message from you, I pulled it up BUT I COULDN'T READ IT until I finshed checking BLOCK or ALLOW to 6 messages! It is so frustrating to have to keep saying yes or no - just leave me alone would be a nice choice! Janet

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

Most firewalls require your "teaching" them what to allow and what not to allow, and also give you the option in the pop-up box to allow for just this one time, or to allow---or not---permanently. If you know the application and it seems legitimate that it needs internet access, then allow it. For example, if you open up Yahoo Messenger, and you get popups requesting access, then allow it. On the other hand, if you are not using an application and you suddenly get a popup, then deny it access out.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:11 AM

Except that some firewalls are too complicated for less knowledgeable users to train. I tried Jetico a few months ago and found it way too intrusive and it didn't seem to "learn" and I discovered afterwards that it isn't really intended for newbies. I ditched it. Maybe the best advice for someone who seems to be in over his or her head with a product like this is get rid of it and try something more user friendly like Comodo.

#6 javajanet

javajanet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

Thanks guys for your help! Janet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users