Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seriously.......please Help Me!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! INTERNET EXPLORER ISN'T WORKING.....IT WILL NOT START!! WINDOWS UPDATES ARE NOT WORKING.......I JUST KEEP GETTING THE SAME 3 UPDATES TO INSTALL OVER AND OVER AND OVER......I JUST WANT TO COPY MY DOCS, FAVS, SOME PROGRAM INSTALLER FILES OFF OF MY C: DRIVE AND THEN WIPE THAT DRIVE CLEAN AND DO A FRESH INSTALL OF XP PRO SP2.

HOWEVER, I KEEP GETTING FARTHER AND FARTHER AWAY FROM SIMPLY DOING THIS. ONE REASON IS BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH MY PC WAS WORKING JUST FINE I HAD TO MESSS WITH IT. I HAVE A P3 900MHz PC with an INTEL BOARD....WELL, MY BOARD HAS INTEGRATED LAN, INTEGRATED INTEL GRAPHICS AND I FOOLISHLY WENT TO THE INTEL SITE AND FOUND THESE SEEMINGLY NEWER DRIVERS FOR MY LAN, GRAPHICS, and CHIPSET and I INSTALLED THEM....EVEN THOUGH THE ORIGINAL CONFIGURATIONS WERE WORKING JUST FINE. BUT YOU KNOW....YOU GET THINKING THAT "OH....MAYBE IF I UPDATE MY LAN DRIVERS TO THE ONES I FOUND ON THE INTEL SITE....MAYBE I WILL GET MORE SPEED AND SO ON AND SO FORTH......

WELL, I THINK THAT SOMEWHERE IN ALL OF MY TINKERING AROUND WITH EVERYTHING I MAT HAVE INADVERTANTLY CAUSED SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THAT I AM NOW HAVING ( such as IE not working at all)........OH YEAH......I HAD UPDATED FROM IE6 to IE7 AND EVERYTHING WAS FINE AND THEN I DECIDED TO UN-INSTALL IE7 and ASSUMED THAT IT WOULD JUST DEFAULT BACK TO IE 6 (it has done thaty for me B4) BUT......NO DICE!!!! NO DICE AND NO IE!!!!!!!!

Well, I am just sick and I HAVE BEEN RUNNING AROUND IN CIRCLES HERE FOR ABOUT 3 DAYS HARDLY SLEEPING OR EATING OR DOING ANYTHING ELSE.......CAN YOU IMAGINE????????

ALL I WANT TO DO IS GET MY SYSTEM BACK TO NORMAL....................BUT THAT SEEEMS TO BE TOO MUCH TO EXPECT AT THIS POINT!!!!!

ANYBODY UP FOR A CHALLENGE??????????

I'M TAKING ON ALL COMERS!!!!!!!!

PLEASE......HELP ME!!!

trumpetman(John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Have you tried doing a system restore, by what you have described, it may well restore you back to normality

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:46 AM

This issue sounds pretty serious and if you can't system restore then who knows what has happened. You might want to put your hard drive in another pc as a slave drive and then copy your files from it on something. Then put your hard drive back and do a fresh install of Windows XP or just get Vista.

If these 2 methods don't work, then you are probably better off calling your local pc store or where you got the pc from and they will eb able to help you.

Hope this has helped you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:59 AM

Hi Trumpetman51, there is a key on the left side of you keyboard called the Caps Lock key, if you depress this key everything that you type will be in capital letters which is recognized as yelling online. I only mention this because it looks like you may have accidentally depressed this key, and I know you wouldn't yell at the people that you are asking for help. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:02 AM

As with most things, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Have you tried:
- Re-installing IE7
- Tried using another browser e.g FireFox?
- Backup your files/folders to CD/DVD and format the computer.

Hope that helps!! :thumbsup:
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:53 AM

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!! INTERNET EXPLORER ISN'T WORKING.....IT WILL NOT START!! WINDOWS UPDATES ARE NOT WORKING.......I JUST KEEP GETTING THE SAME 3 UPDATES TO INSTALL OVER AND OVER AND OVER......I JUST WANT TO COPY MY DOCS, FAVS, SOME PROGRAM INSTALLER FILES OFF OF MY C: DRIVE AND THEN WIPE THAT DRIVE CLEAN AND DO A FRESH INSTALL OF XP PRO SP2.

Any chance you can copy over these files while rebooted into DOS mode?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

[quote name='dc3' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:59 AM' post='622590']
Hi Trumpetman51, there is a key on the left side of you keyboard called the Caps Lock key, if you depress this key everything that you type will be in capital letters which is recognized as yelling online. I only mention this because it looks like you may have accidentally depressed this key, and I know you wouldn't yell at the people that you are asking for help. :thumbsup:
[/

:trumpet:
Please accept my apologies!!!! Of course I did not want it to appear as though I was yelling online!!!!!
Thank you for taking time to explain this to me and straighten me out about it!!! Again....THANKS!!!
:flowers:

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:29 AM

What happens when you try to open IE? Do you get any error messages?

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time you try to open IE.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 eXpelled

eXpelled

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:00 AM

Have you tried rolling back drivers?

#10 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

Hey you all!!!

It's me....AGAIN!!! Just wanted to let EVERYONE know that I finally gave up on trying to unravel the terrible mess. I put a different dard drive in, formatted it and did a clean install of Windows. I am going to take the original HD and try to install it know as SLAVE to see if I can get "the GOOD stuff" from it onto my new master.

At any rate....at the moment...and I empahsize..."AT THE MOMENT" everything is running great....it's like a NEW MACHINE...and I am just going to take things "ONE STEP AT A TIME" here!!!

One more thing....can anyone "point" me to that "master list" of freeware that was posted during this whole thing.....you know which one I mean?? I think it was posted by Grinler.....

Yours truly....AND appreciatively!!!! :thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)

trumpetman51 (John)

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:50 PM

This list: Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps?? :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:47 PM

Thanks Animal...Thanks Budapest!!!

trumpetman51

trumpetman51 (John)

#14 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

I originated this topic on Sept. 20 and i am glad to say that today this problem is SOLVED!!!

There is NO LONGER any reason to continue to post to this TOPIC!!!!

Thank You...to EVERYONE for ALL YOUR GENEROUS HELP!!!!

trumpetman51
John

trumpetman51 (John)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users