Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Map Network Drive In Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elinatim

elinatim

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

I have 50-60 Windows XP computers on a Windows 2003 network. Today I was setting up a new computer, and immediately after I mapped a network drive, I received the following message in a pop-up window:
"Please go to the control panel to install and configure system components."

This has not happened with any of the other computers in my network. Can anyone tell me why this happened and whether I should pay any attention to it?

Forget about Y2K; prepare for the Y10K problem.

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

{Edit} I was able to duplicate this behavior on another XP computer yesterday. Oddly enough, that computer has not behaved this way in the past. Has anyone else run into this?

Edited by elinatim, 21 September 2007 - 09:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill Castner

Bill Castner

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

This happens if there is a file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory. Right-click the drive and choose "open", look for this file Autorun.inf and delete it. Restart Windows.

It can happen if there is an Autorun.inf at the effective root of the Share.

This file should not be on hard drives (or Shares).
Users Helping Users

#3 elinatim

elinatim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hmm. The problem went away for a while, but I see this recurring symptom now: Every time I open Windows Explorer and double click on a mapped network drive, I get this message: "Please go to the control panel to install and configure system components."

I have deleted ALL "autorun.inf" files on the entire network, and I still have this problem. Any clues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users