Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Task Mgr/regedit/control Panel, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kacee

kacee

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

I posted this in the Windows XP Forum but I think I have major virus/malware issues...so here goes:

You are my last hope...I've bought Norton 360, xoftspySE, and RegCure all to no avail. I cannot access task manager/control panel (can't even see them on my computer any more) nor do I have access to regedit. Every time I try to "run" a fix it says it has been disabled by my administrator. This is my home computer.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Kacee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:55 PM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began?

Those issues can be caused by some viruses/worms/Trojans which target msconfig.exe, regedit.exe, cmd.exe and taskmgr.exe. "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator" error message occurs if there is a restriction in the registry.

Are you getting any strange popup alerts or browser redirections? If so, please let us know as that could be a clue as to what type of infection you have.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"? Are you doing scans while logged into the Administrator's account or an account with administrator privileges? You can also Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator.

You need to start there first. If you cannot run these scans, then download RogueRemover and save to you Desktop. (This program is for Win XP, 2000, NT only)
  • Double-click on rr-free-setup.exe to install in C:\Program Files\RogueRemover.
  • During the installation an icon will automatically be created on your Desktop.
  • Double-click on the RogueRemover icon to launch the program and select Check for Updates.
  • If prompted, click Download to receive the latest updates.
  • When completed, close the update window.
  • Select "Scan" and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.
Next, download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop. This is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
  • Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
  • Restart your computer.
Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any other Operating System.

Then download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Reboot in "SAFE MODE using the F8 method and launch SUPERAntispyware.
  • In the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • Select close to exit the program and reboot normally.
See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources. In #4 there is a list of several free online anti-virus scans which you can perform after doing the above.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 kacee

kacee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

Thank you; sorry about posting on the other forum.

I saw your response to superrookie (re: system is fubar) and followed your instructions to him/her. When I go into safe mode (under administrator AND owner) I just get a black screen that says safe mode. I don't get any of the icons/programs to run (re: smitfraudfix.exe)...justa black screen.

I did run ATF-Cleaner and rr-free-setup (not in safe mode but in regular sign-on mode...hope that wasn't wrong). Amazingly I'm not getting as many pop-ups or system slow downs but I still get the "disabled by system administrator for task manager/control panel/regedit."

What should I do now?
Thx, thx, thx for helping me.

#4 kacee

kacee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:19 PM

Sorry I forgot to add I am using XP and besides the disabled message I'm getting a pop that states "Error Detected - Microsoft Internet Explorer"

Again, many thx

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

After rebooting into safe mode, when you are at the logon prompt, make sure you log in as the same user account which you used to download the files. If not, you may not be able to find the them on your desktop. If your still having problems finding the files, go back to normal mode and move them to the root of the system drive (usually C:\) where you will be able to easily locate when going into safe mode.

#6 kacee

kacee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

Okay this is probably stupid to ask but I thought I would see all my icons/shortcuts on my desktop in safe mode. The screen is totally black in safe mode. Am I suppose to type something in to access the files?

sorry I'm not more computer savvy.
Kacee

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:48 PM

If your not able to see anything, then there is a larger problem your dealing with here.

Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

If HijackThis will not run, try renaming it. Open the HijackThis Folder, find the HijackThis.exe file, right-click on it and select rename. Type Scanner.exe and hit "Enter". Double-click on Scanner.exe (which is still HijackThis) and then run your scan. If needed, change the .exe to something else such as .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr. Example: Scanner.bat or Scanner.com

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users