Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sd Cards

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nobilis1

nobilis1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:21 AM

i have enabled readyboost on this card. it is a sandisk standard 1gb card. readyboost is saying to use 0mg for optimum performance. i have allocated 650mg,but how do i know if it is working or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WhyMeWorry

WhyMeWorry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

Don't know if this helps or not. I have a question also.

I tried the same thing with a PNY 1 GB Compact Flash (CF) card. Think the Vista O/S message (Under the 'ReadyBoost' tab when you click on properties of the drive) told me my CF card was not fast enough, or some such message. I did a little research & found some photography cards that were supposed to be high speed but were more expensive.

In my search I ran across & have just received a USB 2 GB San Disk 'Cruzer' Micro Flash Drive. They are cheap around $25.

The system is telling me it is using 1.79 GB of this drive (some programs were included on the drive that I'm ignoring for now) for ReadyBoost. I would like to know how to tell if it is really working or not.

The task manager appears to just show the original 1 GB of memory I had originally. (Probably exactly what it is supposed to do, since this is the true RAM I have.

Hope this make sense. This is my first communication via BleepingComputer.com.

Thanks, Whymeworry

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

If the system is reporting it is using the drive for ReadyBoost, it will be working transparently behind the scenes. What it does is act as quick-access cache for the pagefile, so for small I/O accesses to the pagefile, the system doesn't need to bother a hard drive if the required info is in the ReadyBoost cache. How much difference it makes depends entirely on what the system is doing at the time.

There's some useful information here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/20.../02/615199.aspx
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 WhyMeWorry

WhyMeWorry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:34 PM

Thank you Platypys!

Excellent answer and link. Never expected a reply this fast. I have viewed forums before, but never participated. This seems to be an excellent web site.

Hope all is well ‘down under’ and wish you the very best.

Thanks again,
Whymeworry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users