Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shileds Up Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hello all,

I've just upgraded to broadband - I've got an active uo to date firewall (Zone Alarm) and all my Windows security patches are up to date too. Yet the online Shields Up test tells me that my true stealth rating has failed. That#'s truw of some other tests too.

I am a beginner at broadband: is there anything else I need to do to make my computer more secure?

Thanks,

Ally :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Maabsta

Maabsta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

From the information I've gathered Shields Up will test your hardware firewall for that test. So even though you are using ZoneAlarm the test is only going to test your router's firewall which from what I understand cannot pass the Shields Up test because it will always reply to a ping test. Hope that helps and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong with my details.

#3 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks.

Does that apply for other security tests too?

Although I have XP and broadband, my actual computer is fairly old. That could make a difference, I suppose?

Ally :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

ShieldsUp! tests (in your case) the ability of your resident software firewall to secure your computer by subjecting the firewall to certain tests. It would be important to know precisely what test it failed; often it is a matter of changing how you have it configured so that it passes the test.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thanks - I've just noticed that, since upgrading to broadband, Zone Alarm no longer tells me that it has blocked an intrusion, even when I have set it to do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users