Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe- Unable To Find Component.... Mpr.dll....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dg1a

dg1a

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hello Gentlemen and Ladies,
You've helped me greaty in the past so I thought I'd ask for help again.-
Windows XP home Ed SP2 ( i think)
Comp was running a little slow -( I have a Firewall and run an AV prog. as well)
I decided to run ad aware and then spybot search and destroy. I updated the definitions - it found quite a few issues. I checked the fix problems tab. It indicated that it fixed all but 1 of the issues and that if I reboot it may repair the remaining issue -or something like that.
I rebooted and get the following - lsass.exe - unable to locate component
This application failed to start because MPR.dll was not found. Re- installing this application may fix the problem.
Can anyone help me with this issue?

I'm even having trouble getting to the Repair screen in order to attempt a re-install. If anyone can offer suggestions I'd be greatful.
Thanks again
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

You might want to read this thread. It doesn't sound real promising
http://www.geekstogo.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

HI, Are you guys aware that the lsass.exe file can actually be a downloader, or a virus that will seek out your personal information. It can overwrite windows default file and just be a process that is registered as a virus. Do you all have good AV protection installed on your pcs?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

HI, Are you guys aware that the lsass.exe file can actually be a downloader, or a virus that will seek out your personal information. It can overwrite windows default file and just be a process that is registered as a virus. Do you all have good AV protection installed on your pcs?

lsass.exe Lsass.exe
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:10 AM

Have you tried to do a Recovery, using Spybot?
Boot into Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Open Spybot.
Click the Recovery icon.
Put a check next to the problem you had Spybot fix, that caused your current situation.
At the top, click Recover selected items.
Spybot should restore the files.
Reboot into Normal Mode, and see if your problem has been corrected.

Edited by tg1911, 21 September 2007 - 07:50 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

Thanks TG-
The issue is that I cannot boot into safe mode. I can get to the advanced menu screen and arrow to Safe mode boot. After hitting enter it boots briefly into safe mode then the black screen appears and the same error box comes up-
lsass.exe is missing ...etc. and that MPR.dll is missing.
I also downloaded the lsass and MPR.dll from work laptop and have it on a disk but have no way of installing it...
This can't be that hard or is it?
thanks
Dave

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration, from the boot menu?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hey TG,
Yes, unfortunately I tried that without success. What puzzles me is that I can't force it to boot from a CD. I can get to a boot menu, tell it to boot from cd but it spins up and still boots from the hard drive...

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

I noticed you added you posted a HJT log. Be patient, It takes awhile and all the experts there are busy. They will get to you. I would suggest you wait until you're given a clean bill of health before doing anything else
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#10 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Actually, it was removed from the HJT forum. I'm placing my faith and sanity in you guys...
I couldn't even run HJT to get a logfile

#11 dg1a

dg1a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

OK- I'm now able to boot from CD - the XP installation disk. I also have my missing file MPR/dll on a nother CD( downloaded it from work)- so my question is when I get to the set up XP screen I can go to the "R"epair screen. But can I somehow install the MPR.dll file ai have on my CD or do I need to do the "fixboot" command?
Thanks
Dave

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

fixboot is a command to fix the master boot record. using the Recovery Console. If you could get into safemode you could run System File Checker

Recovery Console commands

System File Checker
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 24 September 2007 - 05:17 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users