Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help! Badly!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

I need to BACKUP, SAVE KEEP many important items that are on C: so I can WIPE IT CLEAN and do a TOTALLY CLEAN INSTALL of XP Pro SP2!!!!

Please help me as to HOW I can BACKUP C: to D: and then be able to RESTORE THE GOOD STUFF FROM THAT BACKUP!!!

I HAVE TO DO A TOTALLY CLEAN INSTALL ON C:!!!!

ANY SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WAY TO BACK C: UP AND THEN KEEP ABILITY TO RESTORE ONLY THOSE ITEMS THAT I WANT....AFTER I HAVE COMPLETED MY CLEAN INSTALL ON C:!!!

HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE...I KNOW I CAN DEPEND ON THE PEOPLE AT BLEEPING COMPUTER!!!!

trumpetman - John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

Just beaware that doing a clean install will remove programs and stuff like that and also bassically starts your computer fresh removing tons of junk and stuff etc.

Therefore backing up all of those things and putting them on your new install just beats the purpose because you are trasnferring the bad things. The only things that would be neccesarry to back-up is your piocture documents and important files. (NO PROGRAMS UNLESS THEY ARE THE INSTALLERS FOR THE PROGRAMS) Then save thoses files to CD or USB and other devices etc.

Then do the clean install but don't get stuff from program files because it beats the clean install purpose.

Then re-install the programs.

Hope this helped.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

This link will tell you how to back up important docs ect. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320820
MCP
MSDST

#4 Bruce M. Weinstein

Bruce M. Weinstein

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

Whatever and wherever you backup please make sure you run an updated AV scan on these files, before you re-install them. :thumbsup:
If you have not learned from your mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them!

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Hey guys, THANK YOU for your replies!!!! :trumpet:

To david., Hey paisan...very good warning!! I DO FULLY INTEND to backup ONLY those things that can't be replaced!!! My docs, pics, and only PROGRAM INSTALL FILES THAT I FEEL CONFIDENT ABOUT BEING SAFE!!! I WOULDN'T JUST BACK UP THE WHOLE MESS, DO A CLEAN INSTALL and THEN PUT IT ALL BACK ON C:!!! As you said, if I did that I would be putting whatever is BAD RIGHT BACK ON THE FRESH COPY OF THE OS!!!! I REALIZE that I WILL have a TON of WINDOWS UPDATES TO INSTALL AGAIN THOUGH!!!!

BUT, that being said, I think you were RIGHT to put out that warning since you don't know if I am aware of the fact that backing EVERYTHING UP and then RESTORING THE WHOLE THING AGAIN would bring me right back to where I'm at now!!!! THAT would be a TOTAL waste of a CLEAN INSTALL now WOULDN'T IT??? Thanks bro!!!

:inlove: Thanks to everyone that replied!!!!! :thumbsup: :flowers:
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#6 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

:thumbsup:
RIGHT ON Bruce M. W.!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!!

trumpetman

trumpetman51 (John)

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:09 AM

Yes, trumpetman51, you will have to reinstall windows updates again but either way it looks like you have no choice. You could get Vista which probably wouldn't require as many updates but its your choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users