Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Files Acces In Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hello,

I recently discovered this website while searching for spyware information. Looks like a great site with very good tutorials. I am a computer novice, maybe a tad more advanced than a beginner, so bear with me if this question seems odd, but....

I was recently downloading Avast anti virus software. When the dialogue box appeared to ask what I wanted to do, either run or save the file, I clicked save, then tried to navigate to program files folder, but I got a window that said I do not have access to this folder! It's an HP Pavillion, Vista Home Premium, and I am logged in as the administrator of the computer. There are 3 other account users settings on it as well for my wife and kids, but they are not administartors, just normal password protected users. My question is, why was I denied access to the program files section, or folder, if I am the administrator?

My gut feeling is that it's some type of security setting in Vista (now there's a surprise!), but if anyone has some input I would appreciate it. Many thanks, and look forward to browsing this site many times in the future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

My gut feeling is that it's some type of security setting in Vista

Yes, you're correct.

Have you seen this?

In previous versions of Windows, many users used the built-in Administrator account on a regular basis.
This account has full control over everything on the computer.

When you install Vista, you may be surprised to learn that the Administrator account is disabled by default.
That's to encourage you to follow best practices and create your own administrative account.
It also makes it a little harder for hackers; they all knew that the account named Administrator
existed and so had half of what they needed (the account name) to log on with it.

You can enable the built-in Administrator account if you really want to, by running the Command Prompt as administrator
(right click its icon and select Run as Administrator; click Continue at the UAC prompt) and typing the following:

net user administrator /active:yes

This causes the Administrator account to appear on the Welcome screen.
***Note that it does not have a password set by default; the first thing you should do is
set a strong password for it.

Edited by Jacee, 19 September 2007 - 08:42 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

Great information, thanks.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:18 PM

In Vista your account functions as a standard user until Administrative permissions are needed. In an Administrator account you'll get the UAC prompt to elevate to Administrative permissions if the program requests it - if it's just a plain standard user account then you'll have to provide Administrative credentials to elevate your permissions.

The way to make this work is to open the program as an Administrator (Run as adminiistrator). To do this, type "Windows Explorer" into the search bar at the start button. At the top of the list will appear Windows Explorer - right click on it and select "Run as Administrator" and Explorer will function as an administrator (which should grant you permission to view the Program Files folder).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

In Vista your account functions as a standard user until Administrative permissions are needed. In an Administrator account you'll get the UAC prompt to elevate to Administrative permissions if the program requests it - if it's just a plain standard user account then you'll have to provide Administrative credentials to elevate your permissions.

The way to make this work is to open the program as an Administrator (Run as adminiistrator). To do this, type "Windows Explorer" into the search bar at the start button. At the top of the list will appear Windows Explorer - right click on it and select "Run as Administrator" and Explorer will function as an administrator (which should grant you permission to view the Program Files folder).

Many thanks for this information. Just one question submitted by me, and already I'm getting some very good help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users