Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xoftspy - Is It Real Or Bs. F-secure -same Question.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fried okra

fried okra

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

OK, I've checked out some of the info here at Bleepingcomputer on Xoftspy , but I 'm still not clear as to whether it's a rogue or genuine application. Any new info would be appreciated.

I also have Embarq on-line Security which is an F-Secure program.The security system comes with the Embarq package, so I'm assuming it's decent, but I would like some of your opinions as to whether it's any good.

Seems you can't trust anybody anymore when it comes to the internet.

F O
Arguing on the internet is like trying to blow out a light bulb!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:51 PM

XoftSpy is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns with False positive, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising, including exploitation of the name "Spybot". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track those mentioned in BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources or one of the other Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 02:47 AM

I wouls agree with quietman7 comments I have a full license for the product but dont bother with it any more. Im now using AVG anti spyware and AVG free anti-virus.
MCP
MSDST

#4 fried okra

fried okra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:36 PM

I 've been wondering about the Xoftspy. After the initial scan, it doesn't seem to pick up anything, except for the same 3 things everytime, and it doesn't remove them, they always come back.
Arguing on the internet is like trying to blow out a light bulb!!!

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

More than likely its only cookies, if so they download when you visit sites...even this one....no probs.
MCP
MSDST

#6 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

In December of 2005,I was caught off guard by an unexplained infestation of Malware.I scanned using whatever resources that were at my command which included at the time Trend-Micro Anti-spyware 3.0,Spysweeper,AdawareSE,Spybot-Search&Destroy,Spyware Killer Pro and perhaps a few others,however I very nearly panicked and even more so it was to get so terrible that I even now did not know where the spyware/malware was originating from.I had some success with an application from pctools.com in Spyware Doctor and as well there was some success with a scorpio software offer in there RemoveAbout_Blank.There was parasitic as well as a BHO detection that was successfully removed by scorpio software however I petitioned to return the purchase within a very short time and was granted a full refund though I will conceed that there was some success.The aforementioned,XoftSpy anti-spyware/anti-malware software application came into a browse one day and upon the free scan detected 53 items.53 items which consisted of 46 files infested with the viewpoint toolbar and 7 folders as well with the viewpoint toolbar.I did not ignore the find and neither did I purchase at first though I did not ignore as stated.It was expensive at $39.00 and though it did remove the detected viewpoint toolbar it went quiet for a time.Though on an occasion there was a detection of a real dangerous find and I might add a successful removal of said real dangerous find it appeared to me that a continous running of the XoftSpy(as on the start menu)was not its greatest attribute.I could not ignore though that it seemed to be out for big game and indeed whatever it was it went terribly quiet for a time and would invariably on a given scan find something that I had hardly even knew that such even existed.Dont get antsy an keep it in the bullpen.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

I will just re enforce what quietman7 and Monty007 said. I would not waste my money on the program.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

The Controversy which is being responded to or so it seems may be better if its entire cause effect be looked at a bit more responsibly.I certainly am not necessarily saying better,
I'am though saying that there was no direct link to anything directly associated with an unjust cause and even more so when it was discovered XoftSpy dissociated there relation which was to have been discovered as another company altogether.This may be construed as involved however the involvement was of no known mal-content and its relation to the aforementioned XoftSoft software was virtually non-existent.I'am suggesting that XoftSoft was not involved in the cause as to the controversy.I'am unwilling to say again though I'am saying again that I will not say better.The call is yours however there is more to know and I as well no more than merely to suggest that due to a unjust association all is lost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users