Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pigeon Gm And Find4u

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know exactly what these two are?

Pigeon GM (C:\Windows\Winlogon.exe) is suppose to be a Trojan and find4u (hkey_local_machine\...\run value:winlogon) a Hijacker.

Only I've done some torrent downloading to try WinDVD 8 and these are apparently apart of using them?

So that's what I want to know if I need these to run the torrent download of WinDVD 8?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks.

John :thumbsup:

PS Also, if you want to comment on using torrent downloads that will be fine. I'm kind of a novice doing it and I'm sure I could use anyone's wisdom on the subject. Thanks.

Edited by Johnz414, 19 September 2007 - 11:27 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? Have you tried doing your scans in "SAFE MODE"?

Find4u is a browser hijacker which displays pop-ups and changes browser settings (your homepage and search page).

The legit Winlogon.exe is located in the C:\Windows\system32 folder not Windows. What program is alerting you to its presence? Have you physically looked for the file? Is it loading at startup? If it is there and is loading at startup, its malware you probably downloaded from the torrent site.

If you locate that file and you have Spybot S&D 1.5 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. Look for a start up entry for that file and remove it.

Then navigate to its location and delete it. BE CAREFUL not to delete the legit Winlogon.exe file in the system32 folder.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this on your own, then please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". You may have performed some of these steps already. If you can't perform a step, then skip and continue with the next. In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.)

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users