Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johnpascoe26

johnpascoe26

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Folks. I have Vista ultimate running on a pavilion with dual hard drives. I backed up my computer to an external HD. Then I accidentally erased drive D. When I went to the back up tool, the laptop does not 'see' the external drive to run the back up from. I have gone down the F8 route and message says there are no back ups found.
Any help would be welcome. John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnpascoe26

johnpascoe26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hey guys, your know who you are, Dad. I found a work around for this problem.
The back up is in a .VhD file, which is a virtual hard drive format. So I downloaded Windows server, which you can have a virtual hard drive thingy, the techy terms escape me.
Then on this virtual hard drive I mounted windows XP. Then I opened by back up, and lo, there was my files.
Copy and paste and I was done.
This is a very simplified version of the hours and hours of getting all this to function.
The Microsoft guys in India were trying their best etc etc. Came back with some soloution or other, but I could see they were working from a check list.
Anyway, I got my files back.
Easy Peasy.
Me,
John. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users