Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Driver And Codecs: Where Should I Stick It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm on Windows 2000 Pro and found an update for the AC'97 graphics card, but don't know where it goes after it's downloaded to my desktop.

I reckon the Device Manager/Wizard thingy will help with relating the upgrade to the card, but I need help with what to do with it once it's downloaded onto the desktop screen. Should the download be transferred to a folder somewhere? Or do I just get the Manager/Wizard thingy to install, then I delete the download?

Same applies to a bunch of codecs I found from Kpac. Once they're downloaded, I don't know what to do with them or where they should reside (if anywhere).

Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:34 AM

Totally depends on the type of file you downloaded. If it's an executable installer you should just run that and it should take care of itself automatically. If it's a folder, then go through the Add/Remove hardware dialog in Control Panel (or from Device Manager) and browse to the folder when you get to the "Have Disk" button.

If it's a zipped/compressed file, unzip it and see what you have.
Posted Image

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for replying arcman, and sorry for my delay in acknowledging you.

The AC'97 update wasn't the right one. After installing it I couldn't bootup. It took me ages to get over the panic, and eventually find a way get rid of it using Safe Mode. So, I'm back to 'square one'. Which is a shame, 'cos I really need to find the right download as the damned thing has been playing my audio too fast for over a year now.

In my, so far, futile attempts to find a suitable update, I found the Intel Download Centre which recommends two upgrade subjects for my chipset 82801AA using Windows 2000: namely an Application Accelerator, and a Chipset Software Installation Utility - with 6 downloads available for each.

Can some kind person tell me if I need to download all 12 items, starting from the earliest version and, if so, do I need to reboot the computer after each download is installed?
Or do I download only the latest version of each?

As far as I know none of these have previously been installed on this second-hand computer, but don't know how to interrogate my system to check.

The downloads for the Application Accelerator are here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

And the downloads for the other thing are here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mp;submit=Go%21

Any other advice would be gratefully received.

On the AC'97 driver update and proper usage/installation of the Kpac codecs, I reckon I'll have to return to this thread a little later once I figure out where I can find an AC'97 update, and figure out the right questions I need to ask (based also on arcman's kind advice). For all I know the damned update for the AC'97 might even be in the list of codecs from Kpac!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks folks.
Rob

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

Have you read ant of this? http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/. Is there a reason for downloading the drivers?. Is Win 2K fully updated including service packs?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

It's OK Mark, I went ahead this morning and installed the Utility and the App. Accel. using one download for each, with no apparent problems appearing so far.

My reason for updating was merely the belief that being up-to-date would be good (told you I was stupid).

MS Auto Update is on, and as far as I know Win2K and SP4 is also up-to-date. But I'll go and check that just now whilst I have an Internet connection. Back in a few minutes....

EDIT: MS says I need SP1 of the .NET Framework 1.1 - but I think that's because I mistakenly installed .NET ages ago. I don't know what it's for and don't think I use it, so I've not bothered with the Service Pack update.

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 24 September 2007 - 04:11 PM.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users