Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding memory

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nita

Nita

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

My computer is about 4 years old has anan AMD Athlon processor, motherboard GA 71XE4 AMD 750 AGP set( This is what it says on the manual. 128 Megab of RAM I run on windows 98 SE and started getting message saying insufficient memory. I ran some online tests thro' Pitstop and their advice as well as advice from others waas that the best way was to increase the memory. A friend said it was easy to put it extra memory and she would do it for me. We therefore went off with the manual and purchased 2 256 Meg strips,they looked different from the original, put them in at which point the computer wouldn't work at all. We took the strips out as well as the original and went back to the shop. They said it should have worked but the strips they gave us were pc133 and the original was pc 100 so they advised us to try and get the pc100. This we managed to do and I bought again 2 256meg strips which looked identical to the original i.e thay had 16 chips , 8 on each side.The brand was Matrix. We then inserted the 128 in its original slot and the 2 256 along side so a total of 640 meg. The computer worked sort of but was not happy. Furhter advice suggested increasing the Maxfile cache, this made no difference and also I was then told on all sides that windows 98 doesn't like more than 512 meg. No problem. We take out the 128 original stick and put in the 2 256 meg in slots 1 & 2. The computer started to boot up but then had conniptions, loads of error messages , missing Dll files and heaven knows what, impossible to do anything. Thought perhaps it's essential to have the original stick in place so put it back in slot one and added 1 256 meg stick, this time it booted up ok but as soon as I tried to get on to the internet lots of error messages, impossible to carry on, so now I'm back with my original 128 meg SDRAM and 2 very expesive 256 meg strips sitting on my desk. Does anyone outhere understand what any of this means and what I can do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 delta dart

delta dart

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 07:11 PM

Nita
Have you tried installing just the two 256m strips by themselves without the 128m.
From what i have researched either the 133 or 100 strips should work. Some motherboards will not work with a 128, 256 or 512 mixture. Try the 256m strips one at a time and then together without the 128m.
Russ

#3 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:16 AM

Yes we did try the 2 256 strips without anything else but couldn't complete the bootup, kept getting error messages,one after another, and missing file messages.

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:40 AM

Nita
If you go onto the Crucial web site.They are major manufactures of memory and very helpful.
Type in your mother board number and they will tell you the correct amount of RAM and of which type you need to increase your memory.
Regards.
Philip.

#5 mdhorton

mdhorton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

My first guess would be a bad stick of RAM. A bad stick will give the problems you are describing. Try using a memory tester to test each stick. A good one to try is at http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp.
It will make a boot floppy. The tests can take a long time, so be patient. Replace any RAM it detects as bad.

#6 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

I have been in touch with Crucial and they suggest a bios update which I should download first on to a floppy, the problem here is that when I go on to the Gigabyte website they are offering 2 downloads which both appear to be aimed at windows XP and no mention of windows 98, furthermore although they recognise the GA 71XE4 motherboard it says underneath AMD 751 whereas mine is AMD 750. The shop where I bought the strips are unwilling to give me a refund and want to take the computer in and tinker with the motherboard, I am very reluctant to do this am I wrong?
As for testing each stick of RAm, how do I do that when the computer won't work with the sticks in it. As you can see I'm not too computer savvyALL ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

#7 mdhorton

mdhorton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 03:12 PM

Nita,

We can be pretty sure that the 128 is good cause you don't have any problems with it by it self. So to test the ram, put one stick of the 256 in and start the computer. The memory tester will boot you to a dos environment. If the computer won't even post with that ram in it, than I would suspect either a bad stick, or a mobo that is not recognizing the ram. The later could be fixed by possibly a bios update like you were about to do. If the bios update doesn't help, then I would still think the ram is faulty or just not compatible with the mobo. If that stick tests ok then shutdown, remove that stick and install the other and test it.

#8 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:59 PM

I have a vague recollection of working on a very similar setup to yours some years ago (cpu was 800 though)
I found that that motherboard had a real issue with ram in excess of 256 and ended up with a 128 and a 64 (of PC133) as the best it would accept.
have u checked the new ram sticks and the motherboard slots for physical damage ?
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#9 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:28 AM

How would I do that? They look alright to me.

#10 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 06:15 PM

on the ram stick (where it slots into the module) are there any gold coloured squares missing. if so ram is faulty.
is the module (where ram slots in) clean and unbroken ?
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#11 Nita

Nita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 04:30 AM

It looks fine.I opened the computer to find the various numbers needed to contact the motherboard manufacturers and while it was opendecided to try again
adding just one of the 2 256 strips and this time it worked, I don't know whether it's the same one that I tried before, I suppose I should try taking it out and replacing withthe other one to ascertain whether one of the chips is faulty.
Thanks everyone for trying to help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users