Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kitty'sfriend

kitty'sfriend

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

Hello everybody. Recently I was helped here in solving a problem with spyware and now everything is running nice except I'm unable to download windows updates. Every time I try I get a blank page and everything freezes. I don't get any error messages, nothing. Can somebody help me please??? Thanks for your time. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:17 AM

Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see what errors are listed at the times that this has happened?

If you know how to use the Event Viewer you can skip this next part.

Go to your control panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. When you open the Event Viewer make sure that you are viewing the System Log, this will be visible in the upper left hand corner. The errors will have a red dot with a white X in it, these will be on the left side of the columns. At the top of the columns you will see titles, the column you are interested in is the Event column, if you go to the Event that has an error and right click on the event a menu will drop with the option for properties, choose this and then read what is listed under Description. Please post what you have found back here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:42 AM

Please post what you have found back here.

Rather than write then type, the easiest way to Post what you find is to click on the button with a picture of a page on it.

This button is immediately underneath the down-arrow. Click once on the button AFTER you've started your reply to this thread. Then in your reply here, place the cursor in your message and press Ctrl and V to paste the Error. (Keep the Ctrl key pressed, and press V only once).

If there's more than one Error message, you need to do this for each message one after the other. Copy then Paste. Copy then Paste....etc.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:07 AM

You can give this a try:
IEFix

IEFix - is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files and reinstalls using the IE.INF file.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 kitty'sfriend

kitty'sfriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

Hello Again, I found few errors on the Event Viewer:
1. The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip-{8DCOEBC9-61B7-43D5- 8295-DA474FB3A47}
2. IPSEC PolicyAgent Service couldn't be started: Oakley failed to start.
3. IPSEC PolicyAgent Service: Ipsec Driver failed to start.
4. The server could not bind to the transport\Device\NetbiosSmb because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

I don't understand a thing. Sorry but I don't know much about this.

I ran IEFix but I still have the same response no updates , just blank page and computer hangs. Can you see anything that could explain why this is happening?
Thanks for you valuable time. :thumbsup:

#6 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:41 AM

I get 1 and 4 of your list too (but with total loss of connection to the Internet), and hope some kind person here at BleepingComputer (BC) can suggest a fix as it's all gobbledegook.

Here's a webpage that purports to give solutions based on the event ID number + the description. In this example I entered Event ID of 2505, and Server > Search button - then click on the Details link "Comments and links for event id 2505 from source Server", which takes you to this page of so-called 'solutions'.

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ver&phase=1

My problem is deciphering anything useful from the Comments entries, and that's where BC people can help sooooo much :thumbsup:

What annoys me with this particular Error message is I have only one computer that has only one name, so where's it getting the idea that another computer exists!!!! (Although I think I saw two different MAC Addresses on it, but don't know what to do if there is).
Is that the same for you kitty'sfriend? Do you have only one computer too, or is there more?

There's also an Events and Errors Message Center at Microsoft, but the same problem exists of not understanding what a fix would be as the TechNet pages are written for Techie professionals.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/ee_basic.aspx

D'oh!! :huh:

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 22 September 2007 - 03:07 AM.

Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

#7 kitty'sfriend

kitty'sfriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:32 PM

Hello everybody :thumbsup: . I contacted Windows Update support a week ago, sent some information about my problem and a windows update log and they responded me last night and they saw an error code # 0x80246008 and told me that this error is mainly caused by the corrupted Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). so I reinstalled it and modified the registry branch to repair the service and I think that fixed my windows update problem and finally can download the updates and it didn't cost a thing . I thougth they would charge me for the fix. They didn't mention anything about the errors on the Event Viewer though. I hope you can resolve you problem soon Rob. Good luck to you :huh:

#8 sra122

sra122

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

How did you do that? (BITS)

#9 kitty'sfriend

kitty'sfriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

hello, sra122.. this is what the person from microsoft toled me to do: she ask me to send her a windows update log (Click on Start, Run and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) Click on the OK button. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log"
Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As" and select "Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window.

After reviewing the WindowsUpdate.log, she found that there iwas an error code 0x80246008. This error code is mainly caused by the corrupted Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

so, the next step was to reinstall Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 Windows 2000 (KB842773) and modify the registry branch to repair this service.

Step 1: Download and install KB842773

======================================
downloaded the update from microsoft site

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en
and then:

Please note its location.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

5. Please install the update in the Safe Mode.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. We can just restart the computer to switch to Normal Mode.

After installing KB842773, please restart the computer to Normal and perform the following steps to modify the registry branch:

Step 2: Modify registry branch

=================================

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey.

To do this, follow these steps:

a. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.

b. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

7. In the General tab, click Start.

and after all that my computer can get the updates just fine. do you have the same problem? See Ya!! :thumbsup:

#10 sra122

sra122

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:40 PM

thanks!!!

sra122

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users