Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tribalfusion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:29 PM

I have a tribalfusion ad that pops up every so often. It is annoying, but it is not dangerous, is it? Do I just delete its cookie to remove it? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

You block the third party adware/spyware cookies from installing in IE. Follow directions in link below.
http://privacy.getnetwise.org/browsing/tools/ie6/block3
Once you changed your settings to block the cookies, you will need to remove the existing third party cookies that are
presently on your computer.

You probably have other malware on your computer.
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanks. I use Firefox. Do the same steps apply?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Cookies in Firefox are a little different.
Click Tools.
Select Options....
Click the Privacy icon.

In this version, the only checkbox is Accept cookies from sites.
If you decide to accept cookies, put a check in that box, click the dropdown arrow underneath it, and select ask me everytime.

Personally, I prefer to leave that box unchecked, and use the Exceptions... button.
If it's a site I trust, I'll add it to the Exceptions list.
That way, only those sites can set cookies.
In the Address of web site: box, type in the URL of the site you want to allow cookies from.
Click the Allow button.
When your done, click the Close button.
Now, that site, will always be allowed to set cookies.

You can also use this to always block cookies, from certain sites.
Follow the above directions, and instead of clicking the Allow button, click the Block button.

If it's a site that has to use cookies to function, but you don't want them to remain on your computer (in my case, Yahoo Mail), use the Allow for session button.
That way when you close Firefox, the cookies set by that site will be removed.

You can also use the Show cookies... button, to remove individual cookies.
Just chose the cookie you want to remove, and click the Remove Cookies button.

All of the other directions buddy215 gave you, regarding Super Antispyware, and Bit Defender, also apply to Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:24 PM

Thanks.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

You're welcome, Hal06.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:37 AM

Okay, I've done all the steps above twice over the past while. I still get the tribal fusion. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Oh, and there is also a Zedo ad that pops up from time to time.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Check to see if you have "popup blocker" enabled. Options/ Content/ put check in box next to "block popup windows"

Do these popups happen on a certain site or are they random?
Is Tribal Fusion cookie still appearing in cookie list?

Check Addon list in Firefox for anything you didn't install.

If you do not have the NoScript and Adblock addons, you should.
NoScript will block ads from loading and will protect you from "driveby" installs of malware.
Adblock will block specific ads. Works great.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Yes. Tribal Fusion and Zedo were in the cookies list. I removed them. Should that fix the problem? I'll check for the noscript and addblock. Thanks.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

You can block the third party cookies (advertising cookies) by opening a tab in firefox 2 and type about:config go down to the line network.cookie.cookieBehavior and right click the line and click modify and change it to 1 then Only cookies from the originating server are allowed means no third party cookies.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

#12 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users