Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Safe Is It To Browse While In Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lliztiz

lliztiz

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

While in safe mode, the icons on the bottom right are not present. Does that mean that programs like NIS are not enabled in this mode? If that is the case, doesn't running an active scan, like Panda, also present a security risk?

I'd like to work on other things while Panda is running, but I am hesitant to open other programs or to browse if my computer is not protected while in this mode.

I couldn't decide whether this topic belongs in security or browsing, so I hope I chsoe the correct forum.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

I don't really have an antivirus... :thumbsup:

Yeah, that means that your start up programs aren't running. You'll have to start your antivirus by yourself in safe mode. Safe mode is mostly for just getting into your computer when you're having problems starting it up, and fixing it from there...

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:12 AM

Thanks for the information. I always assumed I was protected in Safe Mode. After all, it is called Safe Mode. Kind of ironic, isn't it. Now I'll run on-lin virus and spyware checks in safe mode and then again after safe mode. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time running those programs...

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

"Safe Mode" is another example of MS's misleading use of the language. What SM does is to launch your computer with the very minimal Windows processes needed. If you are "safe" from anything, it is from non-essential components and applications running.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 20 September 2007 - 09:25 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. So, when running on-line virus scans in safe mode, how can you protect yourself-- these scans often run for a long time and require that other virus and malware protection not be on. <br /><br />I am confused about one relevant thing (well, probably lots of things, but I'll focus on this for the moment.) Does a browser have to be open for an infection to occur? Or, can an infection occur just because you are connected to the internet (e.g., with a cable modem), but no browser is open? Thanks.

Edited by lliztiz, 19 September 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#6 katana

katana

MRU Expert

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

If your PC is connected to the internet then yes you can be infected even if you are not using the web.

I am curious as to where you heard that online scans should be done in safe mode ?

Connecting to the internet in safe mode is risky to say the least, and should only be done in extreme situations.
Posted Image

#7 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:58 PM

I wish I could remember where I read that. It might even have been on bleeping. It was recommended that I do the on-line scans in safe mode because doing it in normal mode was not as effective. It might have been one of the on-line scanner programs that suggested that. It was from a seemingly reputable source. Thank you so much for disabusing me of that idea. When I have some time, perhaps I can look at my browsing history and see if I can find the source. It is disquieting to know that as long as I am on-line I am vulnerable. Many programs instruct you to disable your anti-virus protection for installation. They also tell you to shut down all open windows programs so that you have no protection at all during the installation. This always makes me worry that I can be infected (even while I am installing programs to prevent against infection). What's a gal or guy to do? :thumbsup:

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:32 AM

"Many programs instruct you to disable your anti-virus protection for installation. They also tell you to shut down all open windows programs so that you have no protection at all during the installation."

The best practice in this case is to download the application to your hard drive, then go completely off-line before installing it. You can then use your AV to scan the downloaded file before installing . Naturally, though, you should never download, let alone install anything, that you do not completely trust and that you have not found on a manufacturer's recommended download site.

Regards,
John

#9 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for a most helpful suggestion! I will feel much better about downloading and installing programs now. I always check out any program or site that I download from. However, now that I have the bleeping community to consult, I will feel even more confident in doing so. I used to rely on product reviews, not reallizing that many were written by biased parties whose aim was to get you to purchase their product. For anyone reading this, bleeping has a list of reputable review sites. I intend to make a copy of those and use only those reviews to point me toward good products and safe sites from which to download. I am hoping I can find that list again. I'll do a search in bleeping so hopefully I can.

Once again, thanks to the bleeping community. You are the best!

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

Just remember, that if you have a question about an application, from how good is it to is it safe, you can always ask here for Member's opinions or experience with the product.
Regards,
John

#11 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thanks so much, John. I can't find that list of approved software review sites that I referred to above. Could you point me to either a link or where to look for in in Bleeping? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users