Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Management Consol - Where Are You?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Collinson

Richard Collinson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

As far as I know the Disk Management Console should be accessed through Start->Administrative Tools->Computer Management.

Within Computer Management the Disk Management consol can be found on the left hand side under storage.

However that is not so on this computer - Storage is empty.

Please can anyone advise how I may get the Disk Management Console back into Computer management

At the present time to access the Disk Management Console I have to go to C:\Windows\System32 and click on diskmgmt.

Please note that diskmgmt.msc is an msc file and is set to open with Microsoft Management Consol

many thanks

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:26 PM

It works on my Vista Ultimate system - I'd suggest that you check to see if the Virtual Disk service (under Services) is set to Manual and has started (it's what runs that snap-in from what I can tell).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Richard Collinson

Richard Collinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:57 PM

Thank you John for your reply - yes I did check that before posting, that "Virtual Disk Service" is set to manual. And yes it is! I should also have mentioned that I am running Vista Ultimate.

The only thing that occurs to me is that diskmgmt.msc is in the wrong folder for some reason and is not being picked up by the Disk Management Console - at present diskmgmt.msc is in C:\Windows\System32................

Many thanks

Richard

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:04 AM

Mine is also located in the System32 folder.
When you open it, do you get the message at the bottom that it's accessing the Virtual Disk Service? Is the next message "Loading disk configuration information"? Any other messages?
Are the dependencies for the Virtual Disk Service running? (Plug and Play service, Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and the DCOM Server Process Launcher service)

And, after all of that - am I correct in assuming you can run the Disk Management applet on it's own (by opening the diskmgmt.msc file)? If so, then it's likely an issue with Computer Management rather than Disk Management. I'm late for work right now, but I'll try to have a look at what's running under it using Process Explorer later on today.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Richard Collinson

Richard Collinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:11 AM

hello John - Thanks for the email.

To answer the questions

Plug and Play service, ................... Started and Automatic

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service................... Started and Automatic

DCOM Server Process Launcher service................... Started and Automatic

I can start run the Disk Management applet on it's own by opening the diskmgmt.msc file and when I do I get the following messages:-

Connecting to Virtual Disk Services

Loading Disk configuration information

So it would seem that you are correct that the problem lies with Computer Management rather than Disk Management!

Many thanks

Richard

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

My compmgmt.msc file is 113,256 bytes in size and was created on Thursday, ‎November ‎02, ‎2006, ‏‎3:13:32 AM and was modified on Monday, ‎September ‎18, ‎2006, ‏‎5:29:38 PM
This is my work computer with Vista Home Premium - but I suspect that it'll be the same for Ultimate.

#7 Richard Collinson

Richard Collinson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:52 AM

hello John - Mine is the same as yours ( I tried to figure out how to put a screenshot of Compmgmt Properties in this post but couldn't!) - the only small difference is that whereas yours was created on Thursday, ‎November ‎02, ‎2006, ‏‎3:13:32 AM - mine was born on 2nd November 2006 8:13:31 (Could be something to do with Time Zones?)

Thanks

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users