Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Performance.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 id1brok

id1brok

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

I have access to my son's PC when I visit him. I don't know all the specification but I do know that the PC has 2.4 gb pent4 processor. The machine is agonisingly slow!!! Six minutes minimum from boot-up to usability!! When an application is closed, it scrolls down the screen, and takes a good 1.5 seconds to disappear. I have used registry cure spyware cures anti virus progs - all to no avail. Now as my son is entering his third year at University, an efficient PC is essential. HELP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:18 PM

Make sure with windows xp that it has at least 512 megs of ram, now seriously consider doing a clean install, then remove everything that he won't use in the way of cruddy programs, defrag the computer, apply any service packs and updates.
Defrag again, check the guides for improving performance, and tell him to maintain the computer.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

I would echo everything DaChew said but specs would be usefull,. Possibly your son's Pc is running low on hard drive space thus one of the reasons why the machine is slowing down. There could be others but if poss post us the spec.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users