Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free up space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Angelo

Angelo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:58 PM

Wondering if anyone can help me out quickly, i have 19 GB hard drive and i am trying to free up space, i have done all the suggested maintence, and i am still not freeing up space. Is there something else i can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:15 PM

Did you do the maintenance in Safe Mode and restarted the computer normally?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

I am not sure what "all the suggested maintenance" might entail.
Have you, for example, used the disk cleanup utility in Windows? Especially the "more options" panel?
Have you checked for zip files still remaining on your hard drive, even though you have unzipped them previously?
Have you reviewed the space you are allocating to System Restore?
Have you removed programs you don't use?
Have you already stored documents, pictures, and media to disk, but not deleted them from your HD?
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 February 2005 - 04:22 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:37 AM

you could try "CCleaner" it gives you space its free.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#5 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:29 AM

Angelo...just a question. How many mp3s? If you have ANY...get them on a cd and deletem. I assume you defragmented. Anything that can be put on a cd...go ahead and do that. Usless programms? Is there anything you don't click on? Go through and see if theres anything you don't use. Also...whats in your startup options...ie what launches when you start your comp? Those little bastards use up a lotta space.....WAIT A MINUTE. see this post...lol...If you havent done this do it...it should free up a bit of space too:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic10886.html Read whole thing. Its pretty short....but gets rid of msn messenger in xp. I dont think first version can do this. its also different in win2k. -joe

btw windows has been notorious for free space problems. I hate doin it...but sometimes a restart takes care of it...I dont like restarting or shutting pc off...extends processor life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users