Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes After Install Of Pci Network Card!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KCabral06

KCabral06

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

:thumbsup: Hey whats up guys i was just wondering if I could get a little help here, my girlfriends computer is acting up after i installed a D-Link RangeBooster Wireless-N Desktop Card Model: DWA-542 pci network card. It has been happening a lot after i installed it i ran the setup and it connected to the internet immediately no problem there but everytime the computer is in use after about 10-15 the computer locks up. The mouse and everything just seems to halt. You can not control alt delete either you have to power off and then power back on. I'm not sure if it can be any malware spyware, just wonderin if you guys can throw me some suggestions!

Thanks! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flashback30

flashback30

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:06 PM

Hi not sure if this will help, but have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver with the newest driver??
did it freeze before the card was installed ? if so maybe a hardware conflict or some other issue can you give more info on the pc ?? operating system, cpu etc.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

some cards don't like some slots on particular motherboards, it's more plug and pray than play
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 KCabral06

KCabral06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:06 AM

yea i'll try switching up the PCI slot i think theres one more available, and no it never froze before i installed the PCI Card in the slot. I guess i'll do some trial and error with switchin the pci card into another slot and maybe messin around with the drivers, i'll be sure to post if somethin else goes wrong thanks guys.

:thumbsup:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:33 AM

http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp...uctid=DWA%2D542

driver support is iffy at best new xp version, vista is beta(of course)
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 darthdalla

darthdalla

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

I am having the same problem with the linksys version of the PCI Card and cannot figure out what is goin on. The only difference seems to be mine gives me the blue screen of death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users