Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Shutting Down And Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dustbegone

dustbegone

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

Occasionally windows will not shut down. I can't figure out what the problem is. It happens every now and then. And I have to press the power button for a few seconds to get it to turn off. I don't know why this is happening and don't know where to begin. I looked through the event log and didn't see errors at the time that we shut down the computer. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong log?? I haven't a clue.

The other problem is that it takes forever for the computer to finish booting up. (Waiting for the icons to become visible on the desktop?) At first the problem was it took forever for everything to load up. It seemed like everything loaded during startup. I unchecked things on the startup like my camera, and itunes. But left everything else alone. So I don't know this thing is being such a bugger.

Help please.

I have XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

If you look in the Event Viewer you should be looking at the System Log. You should be looking for the red dot with the white X inside, these are errors. At the top of the columns you will see titles, the column titled Event is the one that you want. If you see one of the red dots follow that line across to the Event column and right click one the Event code, choose properties, and read the description and then post the first three or four that are listed.

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive?

Have you run scans for infections, and if so with what, and did you do this in Safe Mode?

If would also help to know what make and model your computer is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

The only running programs I tend to have on startup on a Windows machine is Anti-virus and firewall. You will usually find your startup programs hanging out in the system tray (Lower right hand corner near the clock-You may have to click on the expand arrow to see all of these programs if you have many) Your needs may vary so Most other programs are a waste of resources from startup programs. You can decide if that little messaging program is absolutely necessary to run every time you start your computer. Chances are that you have some programs in your system tray that you donít even know what they do. In more cases than not there is no need for a program to be running in the system tray and it is safe as well as recommended that you get your system tray to be as minimal as possible. With that in mind when in doubt get rid of most startup programs. I use the ccleaner (tools/startup) button to delete startups.

http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

#4 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

:thumbsup:
Hiya,

Personally I would exersice a little control over removing all unnecessary start up programs.

Beware of some that may look inoculate, not all may seem as they appear.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#5 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:32 PM

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive? It was a long time ago. Probably the last time I had issues with this darn thing.

Have you run scans for infections, and if so with what, and did you do this in Safe Mode? I have Nortons System Works. I don't recall actually doing a scan for infections. I've done scans through Nortons, but nothing in "safe mode".

If would also help to know what make and model your computer is. I have an T3256 Emachines computer with XP home editions.

These are the most recent errors I have listed in the system log. NONE of these errors were right before shutting down the computer. My son shut down the computer about 9:15 PM.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 9/17/2007
Time: 7:09:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-U3EF4OUUIR
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address 0040CA8896B1 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have lots of these errors on various dates.

Event Source: Cdrom
Event ID: 7
Date: 9/14/2007
Time: 4:52:03 PM
Description:
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: ipnathlp
Event ID: 32003
Date: 9/11/2007
Time: 7:03:20 AM
Description:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

This was in my security log. I have a couple of these on various dates.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Event ID: 615
Date: 9/17/2007
Time: 7:09:38 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

As far as the programs running during "start up", I used the Bleeping Computer Start Up Program Database and Autoruns to decide what I needed to start up automatically before making any decisions. BUT that does not mean that I haven't made the wrong decision about what programs should and shouldn't run during start up. I am clueless when it comes to this stuff. I do try to research things, but I don't understand how to do anything on this "bleeping computer". I know how to type and I'm not even good at that!

I should add that I have had to update my Nortons AND I've added on PCtattletale onto this computer in the last week. BUT I had problems prior to doing this.

Thank you for your time. I really do appreciate it.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Defragging is very important and should be done on a regular basis as well as scanning for infections. Scanning for infections in safe mode it the most effective way to find infections as you programs are not active.

Are you on a router?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hi dustbegone. Take a good look at these.

Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting

Troubleshooting Windows XP Shutdown Issues

_

#8 dustbegone

dustbegone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:24 AM

dc3-

Yes, I do use a router. It's a Linksys

I'll defrag the computer this morning.

Is there a particular program I should use to scan for infections?

Wincrazy-

I'll check out the links. Thank you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:06 AM

In our Security forum we have a list of free utilities and links to download them, you can use this link to take you there.

There are people here that have their own favorites and will most likely share those with you. I would suggest adding Ad-aware, A-squared, and Spybot Search and Destroy to augment you Norton system. If you scroll down the page you will see these listed in their appropriate categories, and further down you will see a section titled "Spyware Removal Tools", these will explain how to use the Ad-aware and Spybot.

Once again I will suggest that you run your scans in safe mode. One other thing to be aware of, you can load tools that are not active but any active utilities may cause problems with Norton...Norton doesn't play well with others. One thing you do not want to do is have more than one anti virus running on your computer at a time.

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:20 AM

EDIT: Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 19 September 2007 - 08:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users