Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Change A User Name?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neilhumphreys

neilhumphreys

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hi Guys

I know this might sound easy, but I have spent the last 24 hours trying to do this! I have been trying:

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Select User - Change Name

and the user name has changed and I thought everything was okay. However this appears to be only a visible change, as I have a program that uses this name and it is still reporting the previous user name.

Am I missing something? I created a new user account and my program reports the new user name

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

Are you using the method described on this page?

Edited by dc3, 20 September 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 neilhumphreys

neilhumphreys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi

Yes that is what I am doing and the name changes. However when I log into my program it still reports the original name.

Neil

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:16 AM

What program are you finding the old user name in?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 neilhumphreys

neilhumphreys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

It is a client / server database program. When I log on it logs me in under the old user name even though I have changed the user name. If I create a new user account then it logs me in under the new account name.

Neil

#6 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Although you have changed user names on your original account, the system files that are created when you formulated the account, do not change names, they remain as created.

The only way to resolve this is to create a new user account and then totally delete your original one.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:50 AM

If you are using Windows XP (Home or Pro) then this is the method to change usernames. Open the "Control Panel" swith it to classic view if not already done so (Top Left Of Control Panel in Common Tasks Bar) and press "User Accounts" (Logo with a computer and two people) Then click on the image of the user whose name you would like to change then press "Change Name"

Hope This helped :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

Changing user names isn't the same thing as changing the name of the folder that the profile is located in. So, if the program looks for the folder name, then it'll show the folder name rather than what you've named the account. You can see this by changing the name on any account, then checking in the Documents and Settings folder (in Windows Explorer) to see that the first "name" that the account had is still the name of the folder.

FWIW - this also messes up network access and permissions so it's best to start with a brand new account without the name change.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

Also a better alternative is to create a new user account and name it what you want it to be then copy your files to the new account. By doing this your account will run faster and should have less problems. Also the problem that you have could disapear. I did this and now my new account is faster and I don't have the problems that I used to have (PC went slow wouldn't load corrupt argh!)

I don't know if making a new account will do the same for you because it varys, but hey, give it a shot!

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:36 AM

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

When you change a user name you are only actually changing a tag to the SID(Security ID). All programs and security is linked to the SID and not the user name. If you notice when a username is changed the documents and settings folder name remains unchanged. This is part of the issue for the database. If it is using a SID field and you originally entered username against that SID it will still refer to the name in the database.

As mentioned before the only way to make the changes fully would be to copy all of the files from that profile and create a new profile under the new name and copy the files back. You will need to make sure this is done from an admin account as this will make sure the permisions of the files will be OK for the new user to be able to access them.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users