Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Processor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:27 AM

Hi,

My PC (running Windows XP Pro) has been running slow for some time now and I've done everything I can to speed it up. I think I just need to get a new processor as my current one is quite old. I'd rather not replace other parts of the computer such as motherboard, graphics card, PSU, etc., so I'd appreciate suggestions for the best processor that would work with my current equipment.

Here are the current components of my PC:

Here's a list of the component parts of my computer:
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz S478 533 FSB 1MB Cache
Motherboard - Asus P4P800S-E Deluxe
Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 9200 256 DDR 8X AGP VIVO All-in-Wonder AGP
Case - Jou Jye JJ-350D (Designed for Pentium 4)
Hard Drive - Hitachi 320GB
DVD Drive - Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM
RAM - 2GB DDR SDRAM PC3200 400 Mhz
Floppy Drive - Alps Electric

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:43 AM

That's about as good as you're going to get with that motherboard, I would stick with what you have unless you want to build a new machine. What a lot of people find is that over time XP tends to get very cluttered up and a lot of people will back up their files, wipe the hdd, and reinstall XP. I'm guessing that you keep up the updates and defrag your hdd, right?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:44 AM

I've just reinstalled Windows and done everthing else you're supposed to do to improve performance. It looks like I'm just going to have to wait until I can get a load more components.

Thanks,
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users