Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A Video Card For A Dell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neonkiss

Neonkiss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 3000. I'm looking at a new computer program and the requirements call for a NVIDIA or ATI graphics card with at least 128MB VRAM
and then list.. NVIDIA: Geforce 6000 series or 7000 series (6600 or better)
ATI: Radeon X series (X600 or better)
My machine only has PCI slots no PCI Express x16 slot. What Graphics card could you recommend that I could install in this computer without this snowballing into buying a lot of other stuff. My power supply is only 250W and from what I see out there most want 350W. Also the Dell motherboard does not have many options.
This is typical of what MFG's have for system requirements:
35MB available hard disk space (50MB for full installation)
A 350W PCI Express compliant system power supply
A PCI Express compliant motherboard
A vacant PCI Express x16 slot

Thanks,
Neonkiss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:58 PM

If you have one you could get a agp graphics card if your motherboard has a slot for it (most newer ones dont) they have some decent cards for those that meet your needs for example here is a link to one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130076
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#3 Neonkiss

Neonkiss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:13 AM

Again, This card has the following system requirements.

Minimum System Requirements

Intel Pentium 4/ AMD Athlon XP processor or higher
256MB System Memory
400 Watt or greater power supply unit (minimum recommedned power supply with 12+ Volt current rating of 20 Amps)
AGP 2.0 or higher compliant motherboard. (Some motherboards violate the AGP specifictaion and therefore this card may not physically fit in some systems.)
One available hard disk power connector from power supply that is connected to nothing else in the system. (smaller floppy disk drive connector is not sufficient)
CD-ROM Drive
Windows XP/2000

My system only has a 250 W power supply
I was looking for a card where I would not have to upgrade the power supply.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

Graphics are definitely the weak spot for the Dimension 3000 as it is for most budget systems. It uses the Intel Extreme 2 integrated graphics which has very limited 3D capabilities. To make matters worse, the system lacks and AGP or PCI-E slot for a graphics upgrade.

http://compreviews.about.com/od/budgetdesk...lDimens3000.htm

almost any affordable low power pci video card will not meet the minimum requirements of modern day gaming

increasing your system ram is about the only choice you have and that is a poor one

In the case of the Intel Extreme 2 and its fellow integrated graphics worthlessness, it will again either run at less than 5 frames per second with everything turned down to minimum, or just refuse to run altogether.

http://icrontic.com/articles/gaming_system...or_casual_gamer

save your money up for a new computer and make sure the choice for upgrading video is included, if integrated graphics make sure there is a pci-express slot
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users