Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumprep 0 -k?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cal State

Cal State

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

As I was disabling some startup entries in msconfig I found this. what is dumprep 0 -k? The only information that I found in my system is the following:

Under regedit: HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

name: KernelFaultCheck

type: reg_expand_sz

data: %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k

I did a virus and spyware scan and it's clean. I also did a google on it, but I only received results from dumprep 0 -u, but not dumprep 0 -k. I couldn't find any information on dumprep 0 -k. I'm no expert at this kind of stuff, but should that be in my system? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

Dumprep 0 -k is legit, but not needed for startup

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/d...p.exe-1449.html
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

It's associated with memory dumps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

garmanma can you direct me to a good article explaning exactly what memory dumps are?
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

Sagacity83,

Check out this article.

Microsoft has some KB articles but this one cuts to the chase. If you have ever crashed your computer the best way to learn about minidump files is to debug the one(s) on your own machine.

#6 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Thank you DaveM59 i'm about to read this right now :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users