Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows messanger...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:21 PM

Have it return...I think when windows updats...which it does automatically. The filename is C:/programfiles/messenger/msmsgs.exe . I got windows XP. How do I kill this file for good and can I permanantly block any attempt to put it back on pc. Something else also happened. I got into the startup edit list through spysweeper and found a blank checked box...so I click more infor; no product name, company name, or copywrite infor provided? The registry or startup folder is the same as that lousy messenger: HKCU: run. So I stopped it with spysweeper...but I think its part of the messenger file. Thanks. -Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:40 PM

Joe - Windows Messenger is not spyware. It is a Windows Service. The bad guys have found it and learned to exploit it, and sometimes a gray box will pop up on your desktop with nasty things in it. But it was designed to be used, primarily in corporate environments, for sending messages to co-workers.

1 Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
2 Click Performance and Maintenance
3 Click Administrative Tools
4 Double click Services
5 Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
6 Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
7 Click the STOP button.
8 Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
9 Click OK

Messenger was turned on by default in XP Service Pack 1, but turned off by default in Service Pack 2.

This assumes you have XP Home. Disabling Messenger in other operating systems is similar, except for 98 and ME, in which Messenger cannot be disabled.

Here's a link for more information: Disable Messenger

#3 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:06 AM

I am trying to follow the steps here and can't get to performance and maintenance.
I have tried what has been listed in the prior post and can't find settings.

Would appreciate a reply, T/U :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#4 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:46 AM

Thanks. I know its microsoft and all...but is there any way to comepletely rid that or prog from my computer. Can I delete it without causing windows to not work anymore? The nerd who put it there should be punished with milenia of :thumbsup: .

Anyway, if you cant find settings dude your lost...roflmao. Open up control panel. Then open up administrative tools [its there i swear]. Click on services. You should be able to pick up form there.

Edited by jpbc9999, 09 February 2005 - 09:47 AM.

#5 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:22 AM

One of my first steps after installing Windows is to remove Messenger.

Some methods are discussed here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/
Here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
and here: http://www.dougknox.com/

Hope this helps!

#6 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

How do I get rid of / Uninstall Messenger from Windows XP?

Answer

The first thing you have to do is make messenger visible in 'Add Remove Windows Components'
Edit c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf, remove the word 'hide' from the line msmsgs=msgrocm dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 (leave all the commas), and then save the file.

Go to control panel, run Add/Remove programs, and click the 'Add/Remove Windows Components' button. Messenger will now be displayed in the list, and you can uncheck the box. Messenger will be removed.

#7 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:13 PM

jpbc9999.....I couldn't get into the Windows Messenger based on the instructions given as in my Home Edition "xP" . You go from Start, to Control Panel, to Administrative Tools ......after Start, there is No Settings and After Control Panel there to No Performance and Maintenance. Those were in the post as steps to do.
The rest of the options listed to follow in the post were correct to follow in my Home Edition.

So yes I was able to get into the Windows Messenger by eliminaing trying to locate Settings and Performance and Maintenance as I could go directly to Administrative Tools in the Control Panel.

And everything else was per the steps in the Post.

F/Y/I :thumbsup:
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#8 jpbc9999

jpbc9999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

Thanks very much. Windows messenger is no more. Learned a lot about other stuff too. Cant believe it was that easy. -Joe

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:48 PM

Good tip, as stated:

Windows messenger is no more. Learned a lot about other stuff too. Cant believe it was that easy. -Joe

I never needed it, either. 70+MB of stuff gone. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:54 AM

It's exasperating how many ways there are to get to Services. Usually, I have no problem at all working on an XP computer and going straight to Services, but sometimes, it's set up differently and there are more steps.

Another way to get to Services is to click Start -> Run and type services.msc in the box. (This is for XP - dunno about others)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users