Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting Computer...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

I read a post about someones computer restarting randomly. I am having that problems, not as often as the person in the post, but it is still annoying. Someone told her to try something on the web that tests the harddrive to tell you if it's going bad. Could I try this? I didn't wanna follow advice meant for someone else before asking here. If I can could someone direct me to where this test can be found?
Thank You
-Cheryl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

There is more than one Hard Drive Diagnostic tool you could use, so I couldn't tell you which one you are talking about. Do you remember what thread it was? If you do post the link.

You should also post exactly what is going on with your computer. Maybe someone can solve the problem in this thread.
Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

You need to use the test program for your brand of hard drive. Best place to find it is on the manufacturer's support pages.

If you don't know what brand of hard drive you have, download Everest Home Edition and install it. Then start the program and click Storage, Physical Drives and look for drive #1. It may have the manufacturer's name, if so you can go to their website support section and look for downloads. There will be a disk diagnostic utility listed there, along with instructions on how to create a boot disk to run the program from. (You cannot run the test from Windows).

If Everest does not give the manufacturer's name post what it gives you - probably a string of letters and numbers - and someone here will be able to figure out who made your drive.

There are lots of other things besides disk failure that can cause system crashes, but I suggest you test your drive, if it is failing you need to back up your data immediately.

When your system restarts, it will flash a blue screen with an error message -- the famous Blue Screen of Death. Unfortunately there's no time to see what Windows is telling you. So you need to change a setting so that the Blue screen remains and you can write down the info.

Click Start, right click My Computer, and select Properties
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit

Next time your machine crashes write down everything on the blue screen, and post the information to a reply here.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Try do a scandisk because you might have errors on your hard drive. Also there is an option to stop your computer restarting. You need to disable some kind of option but I forgot how to. Hopefully this will help you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:43 PM

I read a post about someones computer restarting randomly. I am having that problems, not as often as the person in the post, but it is still annoying. Someone told her to try something on the web that tests the harddrive to tell you if it's going bad. Could I try this? I didn't wanna follow advice meant for someone else before asking here. If I can could someone direct me to where this test can be found?
Thank You
-Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, there are several reasons that a computer would restart, it doesn't always mean the hard drive. If you download SIW and scroll down to storage devices it will list the manufacturer of the hdd, you can then go to the manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool and run it.

It would help to know what errors are showing up in the Event Viewer, you can find the by going to your control panel, then administrative tool, and then Event Viewer. The errors will have a red dot with a white X in the middle, if you follow that to the right to the column titled Event and right click on that number a menu will open with the option of properties, click on this and read what the description has to say and please post that here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users