Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Storage Drive And Infections

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lliztiz

lliztiz

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

My laptop had several infections which seem to be cleaned up now-- good results from on-line scans done in safe mode. However, I used my Western Digital Passport to back up the computer when it was infected. I want to disinfect that drive, but I am afraid to connect it again for fear that doing so may reinfect the laptop. I suspect that won't happen unless I copy data from that drive onto the computer, but I am not sure about that. I don't want to go too long without doing an external backup. I would appreciate advice. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

What malware did you have and what programs, etc. did you use to remove it?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

I have Norton IS 2007, Spybot Search & Destry, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster, Sophos Anti-Root Kit. I ran every on-line virus scan that was recommended: Kapersky, Panda, Bitdefender (I think that's the name)-- I think that Panda was the main remover from the on-line scans, and I used the other software on my computer as well. Now my scans are coming back clean and my computer is working very well-- no evidence of infection.

At this moment, I am running the AVG anti-malware on drive E. I just ran NIS on drive E and it came back clean.

Thanks for replying. If all comes back OK, am I safe? Can drive E infect drive C just by being connected if it were infected?

I have Norton IS 2007, Spybot Search & Destry, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster, Sophos Anti-Root Kit. I ran every on-line virus scan that was recommended: Kapersky, Panda, Bitdefender (I think that's the name)-- I think that Panda was the main remover from the on-line scans, and I used the other software on my computer as well. Now my scans are coming back clean and my computer is working very well-- no evidence of infection.

At this moment, I am running the AVG anti-malware on drive E. I just ran NIS on drive E and it came back clean.

Thanks for replying. If all comes back OK, am I safe? Can drive E infect drive C just by being connected if it were infected?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,618 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

You have to assume that malware on one harddrive can infect the other.

Since as you said Panda found and removed the malware, why didn't you scan with that on the E drive? Or maybe you intend to.
Sounds like you probably removed the problem but if you would like to have one of the Hijack This expert's opinion, please post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum. Do Not post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

I think I did the Panda scan with the external drive attached, but just to be sure, I will rerun it. If anything pops up, I will follow your advice about where to post. Thanks for answering my question. Just to be sure that I understand, an infected external drive can infect a clean computer just by being attached-- i.e., even if none of the files from the infected external drive are saved or otherwise transferred to the computer. I am curious about how that can be. Thanks.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,618 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

Darn good question. I doubt it, but I prefer one of the more knowledgeable members answered that question.

#7 lliztiz

lliztiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:11 AM

Thanks. I'll check back to see if anyone else knows how that works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users