Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware 2007 Malware?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

Am I the only one that has had a bad experience with the NEW 2007 Ad-Aware???

I have installed it a couple of times and it seems to have brought some kind of Malware to my machine???

Please advise!!!!

Please feel FREE to tell me I am looking at the WRONG CULPRIT!!!!

:thumbsup:

trumpetman
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

are you running a windows version that is fully compatible WITH adaware 2007?

and from which link did you download the adaware 2007 exe?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

It seems highly unlikely that Ad-Aware2007 is the culprit, although many people seem to have had problems using it---I have ceased to either use or to recommend the new version, preferring other anti-adware applications. Can you further explain what you mean by "bad experience" and "brought some kind of malware"? Providing examples can help us understand what problems you are having.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

...it seems to have brought some kind of Malware to my machine

What makes you believe that? Is another program advising you of malware? If so, what is the name of that program and what is the name of the malware and its location?

What's New in Ad-Aware 2007 Free?

The new version is much larger in size (18,694 KB) because in includes additional enhancements available only if you choose to purchase them. This is not very helpful to those who only want to use the free features. Although it has a new look, Ad-aware 2007 does not seem to offer much in major improvements with its scanning. Further, it does not support Win 98SE like the old version so if you have an older machine you can't use it.

An alternative is to use SUPERAntiSpyware Free instead.

The free version does not run in real-time mode...a purchased upgrade to the "Professional" version is required before this option can be activated. See Free vs Pro Comparison Features. If your using the free version, use it as an on-demand scanner...no need to run at startup.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

Hello Ruby1,

:flowers:

THANKS for responding to my post!!!!!

I know it must sound kind of weird when someone asks if there have been any known problems with Ad-Aware 2007!!!

First, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 which I am pretty sure is compatible with Ad-Aware 2007.

Second, I am NOT sure from which link I downloaded Ad-Aware.

BUT, last night I removed all traces of it from my computer and I downloaded it from a highly reputable source!!!

So, since no one has reported any other weird activity with it, I think I will try installing it again and try running it too!!

WISH ME LUCK!!!!

"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#6 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

It wasn't until I submitted my reply to Ruby1 that I saw more replies....from jgweed, and quietman7!!! Thank you also for replying to my post!!

I have just downloaded SUPERAntispyware and I think I will give it a "run for it's money" too!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!

trumpetman51

trumpetman51 (John)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

Your welcome.

First, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 which I am pretty sure is compatible with Ad-Aware 2007.

Second, I am NOT sure from which link I downloaded Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware 2007 works with 2000/2003 Server/XP/Vista and can be downloaded from the vendor, lavasoft.com in the link I provided above.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:27 AM

There are many (in my opinion) better anti-spyware applications out there (and free) than the current version of Ad-Aware. Having two or more of these will help provide adequate protection for your computer.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

There are many (in my opinion) better anti-spyware applications out there (and free) than the current version of Ad-Aware. Having two or more of these will help provide adequate protection for your computer.
Cheers,
John

Thank you for responding....would you mind suggesting any of those "better" programs?????

trumpetman (John)

trumpetman51 (John)

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

#11 raulphie

raulphie

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources.
See BC's Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

Thanks Quietman, for the links. However, this information is from 2004, included Ad-Aware as a prominent recommendation, and perhaps should be updated. I too am interested in "better" security software apps being available now that an old stand-by like Ad-Aware has evidentally fallen from favor. And I just bought Ad-Aware's "pro" upgrade (tired of the slow updates), having had it on my computer for several years based on BC's recommendations. Slightly computer literate persons as myself look to BC as "gospel" for all security advisos. Again, please consider updating the above links if long-term, well informed BC moderators are suggesting other (unnamed) options as "better".

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

Even though the Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Applications thread was started in 2004, TG1911 updates the thread and the information regularly.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,780 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for your input raulphie and we certainly appreciate that folks such as yourself look to BC as "gospel" for all security advice.

Based on the fact that the new version is a much larger download, does not support Win 98SE and it does not seem to offer much in major improvements with its scanning we have not updated our list. The older version listed is still supported, is much easier for our members to download and performs just as well as the newer one. We will keep an eye on Ad-Aware 2007 as the vendor strives to make improvements and consider updating our lists at that time. Remember, "newer" does not always mean "better".

SUPERAntispyware is listed in the second link under Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

#14 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

THIS REPLY IS TO ANSWER THE EMAIL THAT I RECEIVED LAST IN THE CHAIN OF EMAILS TITLED "AD-AWARE 2007 MALWARE?" THAT MOST RECENT EMAIL IN "THE CHAIN" WAS WRITTEN BY quietman7!!!!

At the end of the following post which was a reply to the topic titled "Ad-Aware 2007 Malware?", there is a statement that says: " You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Subscriptions" link."

APPARENTLY, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THAT!!!! I Go to my CONTROL PANEL which I am assuminig is the link that is called "MY CONTROLS" but I DO NOT SEE ANY LINK CALLED "VIEW SUBSCRIPTIONS".........????????????

In the LEFT HAND COLUMN there IS a block titled SUBSCRIPTIONS (third block down)......and inside that block there are TWO ITEMS....."view TOPICS" and "view FORUMS". SO......I am assuming that when you said "click on the "view subscriptions" link" you were referring to "going to SUBSCRIPTIONS BOX and clicking on either VIEW TOPICS or VIEW FORUMS.......BUT......(and I FULLY realize that I am probably JUST BEING VERY DENSE ABOUT THIS).........................BUT..............I REPEAT.......I SEE NO LINK TO "CLICK" on THAT SAYS "VIEW SUBSCRIPTIONS".....NOR AFTER I "CLICK" on either "VIEW TOPICS" or VIEW FORUMS" DO I SEE ANYWHERE THAT MAKES SENSE TO ME ANY PLACE OR LINK FOR ME TO UN-SUBSCRIBE TO A TOPIC!!!!!

"SOMETIMES THINGS JUST SEEM TO MAKE SENSE TO ME WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION and OTHER TIMES IT IS AS THOUGH I NEED SOMEONE TO LITERALLY 'TAKE ME BY THE HAND'"!!!!!!!

Could you PLEASE TRY TO MAKE THIS MORE CLEAR TO ME??????

Maybe it's because I have been sitting at my computer for about 3 days now,,,,SERIOUSLY.....HARDLY SLEEPING OR EATING OR DOING ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL BECAUSE I MA TRYING TO FIX MY COMPUTER AND I JUST SEEM TO BE DIGGING A DEEPER AND DEEPER HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS a LOT!!!

JOHN (trumpetman51)

trumpetman51,

quietman7 has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Ad-aware 2007 Malware?".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your input raulphie and we certainly appreciate that folks such as yourself look to BC as "gospel" for all security advice.

Based on the fact that the new version is a much larger download, does not support Win 98SE and it does not seem to offer much in major improvements with its scanning we have not updated our list. The older version listed is still supported, is much easier for our members to download and performs just as well as the newer one. We will keep an eye on Ad-Aware 2007 as the vendor strives to make improvements and consider updating our lists at that time. Remember, "newer" does not always mean "better".

SUPERAntispyware is listed in the second link under Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an
email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.
This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Unsubscribing:
--------------

You can unsubscribe at any time by logging into your control panel and clicking on the "View Subscriptions" link.

Regards,

The BleepingComputer.com team.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php

trumpetman51 (John)

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

See if this helps.
These directions go into a little more detail:
How To Unsubscribe From A Topic.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users