Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why My Computer Is Making Sound? Too Much Sound

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mocca

mocca

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hi, guys how you doing?

My question is, regarding the sound in my computer. when am trying to access a file, it starts sound and continues until i close it. so please guys how can i solve this problem? i need your help.

thanks

Hi, guys how you doing?

My question is, regarding the sound in my computer. when am trying to access a file, it starts sound and continues until i close it. so please guys how can i solve this problem? i need your help.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:58 PM

Please describe the sound as best as you can. Is it grinding, ticking, etc?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mocca

mocca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:15 PM

Hello, Sir

the sound is exactly grinding.

#4 SalmonCreative

SalmonCreative

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:05 PM

You should check to make sure your fans inside your computer are working correctly and are running. The sound may also be coming from your harddrive, if this is the case you may need to replace these parts.

#5 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

A grinding sound usually means a fan problem. Listen carefully to the PSU fan and see if that's it, If not, open up the computer and listen carefully to the other fan(s), as well as other moving parts such as the hard drive in there. Remember to not touch anything inside the computer without anti-static protection.

I didn't read Salmocreative's post b4 posting............Sorry :thumbsup:

Edited by Sagacity83, 17 September 2007 - 05:46 PM.

Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#6 mocca

mocca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hi, sir.

i opened up the PC. and listened to all parts for the compuer and the fun is ok. but i found out that the grinding sound is from the Hard drive. i touched the hard drive with a piece of paper and on the other end put it between by teeth. the sound is Definitely from the Hard drive.

#7 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Hi Mocca

This could possibly mean that your hardrive is very close to dying. First, you should back up your important data There are a couple of ways of doing this. How often do you Defrag you're Hard Drive? if not often, Defrag it and see how it sounds.

Edited by Sagacity83, 18 September 2007 - 11:17 AM.

Gateway GM5076e, Pentium D CPU 3.20GHZ, 2.1GB of RAM, 465GB SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache™
256MB, Windows XP Media Center SP2, Mozilla Firefox, McAfee Security Center, AdAwareSE, F-Secure Blacklight, A-squared Free.

#8 mocca

mocca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hello, sir.

i have defragmented the hard drive but the sound is still the same. and i have to back up my data and soon am gonna change the hard drive.

thank you very much saqacity83 :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

To be on the safe side, try not to use the computer as much as possible until you back up what you want to save
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Sagacity83

Sagacity83

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hello, sir.

i have defragmented the hard drive but the sound is still the same. and i have to back up my data and soon am gonna change the hard drive.

thank you very much saqacity83 :thumbsup:

That is very good to hear, and you are welcome.

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

If you want to know once and for all what state your hard drive is in, there is a bootable diagnostic tool called Drive Fitness Test that will put your drive through a full diagnostic check.
Posted Image

#12 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi mocca. Note the links to the diagnostic programs.

HDD Vendors
Vendor

Vendor-developed hard drive diagnostic software

Fujitsu

Web site: www.fujitsu.com (general), www.fcpa.com (hard drives)
Drive diagnostics and firmware upgrade utilities are available at http://www.fcpa.com/support/hard-drives/so..._utilities.html

Hitachi (and IBM)

Web site: www.hitachigst.com
DFT (Drive Fitness Test) diagnostic utility is available at http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
This tool works with IBM hard drives as well (since IBM sold its consumer hard drive development division to Hitachi).

Maxtor (and Quantum)

Web site: www.maxtor.com
Diagnostic software

Samsung

Web site: www.samsung.com
Diagnostic tool Shdiag is available at http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDr...ties/shdiag.htm

Seagate

Web site: www.seagate.com
SeaTools diagnostic software - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Western Digital

Web site: www.wdc.com
Diagnostic and firmware updates are available at http://support.wdc.com/download/downloadxml.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users