Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reoccuring virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 edkane

edkane

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

I seem to have gotten the mother of all mothers of spyware. McAffe deletes it and it just keeps coming back. I've used AdAware, Spy Bot, Spy Ferret and Hijack this all to no avail. Even in Safe Mode. Files Being Loaded into my C Drive include one called upgradetb093. It also keeps disablying my pop up blocker (Stopzilla). Any suggestions. I am about to fry the computer. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

Have you tried webroot spysweeper? Also, before you go into safe mode have you disable "system resore" ? After you disable, go into safe mode, scan, restart and enable it again. How about panda active scan? Its an online virus scan...really cleans up. Thats about all I can think of...any other ideas? -Joe

#3 edkane

edkane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Joe, I will give this all a shot- Ed

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Only one warning, by disabling system restore, if something goes wrong, you have nothing to fall back on. I don't care what Symantec says, you should never disable your system restore until the system is clean, and then only to flush out the restore.

The System restore is only a snapshot of your system at a given time. Malware does not rewrite itself out of your system restore.

I would rather start over with an infected restore point than have to reformat and reinstall my OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users