Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dont Want Ez Antivirus!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greenwood

Greenwood

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

This morning our County Appraiser called me to her laptop and pointed at an icon in the tray labeled CA. When opened it tells us that its security update download failed. It claims to be e trust ez antivirus by Computer Associates but this program has never been downloaded. It does not appear on the programs list or on the add/remove list. I see that many of you use AVG, which we ran, and it showed nothing. Ad-Aware didnt see anything either. The Laptop runs winxp, the fire wall is on, IE 7 for internet.

Has anyone seen this? A quick search of the topic list didnt turn it up. We were just discussing installing Norton AV, we dont need ez antivirus in the road. Any ideas how to remove?

Thanks

Greenwood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

IF the program is installed it should show up in the Add/Remove list. Have you checked there? If it is there and you want to remove it just click on it and click remove. Some antivirus programs can be tricky to remove. It is best to attempt the uninstall in safe mode.
How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Let us know if the program does not appear in the Add/Remove list

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

If there is no entry in Add/Remove, then look in the program's folder for an uninstall.exe and use that.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Greenwood

Greenwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure if this is the place to say thanks, but here goes.

No, this program was not in the add/remove list and I didn't check for a program folder before it was gone. BUT, I upgraded to Ad-Aware 2007, ran it again, caught some new files of which one must have been this thing cause when I deleted the suspects it is now gone. I still dont know what it was.

Thanks for the fast response.

Greenwood

Edited by Greenwood, 17 September 2007 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users