Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lowlight

lowlight

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

I'm not good with computers and really didn't know what I was doing when I disabled all user accounts to try to fix another problem. Now when I start the computer and the login screen appears there are no users. When I hit ctrl+alt+del twice (like other people have told me to do) all the users including administrator have been disabled and now I can't get access to my computer. I have no clue what to do. I already tried reinstalling xp by booting from cd drive first and it didn't help. Any help is greatly appreciated

Edited by lowlight, 17 September 2007 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hi lowlight.

Do you mean that the user accounts appear on the Welcome screen but you can't select any of them ?

Or do you mean that no user names appear at all ?

Is the Administrator account listed on the Welcome screen ?

#3 lowlight

lowlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yeah there are no user accounts at all. ANd when I control alt delete it it brings up my account and asks for password but when i type in my old password it says the account has been disabled I'm looking every where trying to figure out what to do

Edited by lowlight, 17 September 2007 - 12:34 PM.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

When your computer boots have you tried pressing F8 and selecting SAFE MODE and booting into Windows that way?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:41 AM

are you using WinXP Home Edition SP2? Because if you are not, then that is why the computer let you disable all the accounts. Normally the computer will not let you diable the last administrator account.

I agree with firekracker though, try do a Safe Mode start and if you still can't log on, you might want to try your local computer store and they might be able to help you. Another option is top put your hard drive in another pc and use it as a slave then copy the files you want (NOT FILES OR FODLERS IN "WINDOWS" PROGRAM FILES") just the files from My Documents etc and then do a clean install.

Hope this has helped you! :thumbsup:

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:30 AM

There are ways of re-enabling user accounts from outside of Windows, but I'm hesitant to post them due to their complexity, potential danger, and BC's policy against posting info on how to bypass security... can an Admin or Mod give me some guidance here?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

There are ways of re-enabling user accounts from outside of Windows, but I'm hesitant to post them due to their complexity, potential danger, and BC's policy against posting info on how to bypass security... can an Admin or Mod give me some guidance here?

GOOGLE
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

Google? :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

If they know how to search they'll find it. I feel the same as you, some of the reasons to do what they want to do are totally legitimate and a lot of times the answers can be found in the Microsoft knowledge base. But rules are rules :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

Gotcha...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users