Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootvis.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rebmahc

Rebmahc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hi all. Ive just read about a programme called Bootvis that is said to speed up XP's loading times considerably, despite info from Microsoft that it does not.

Most people found load up times increase by an average of 50-60%, and i was wondering has anyone tried this programme and if so, is it safe?

I ask because if Windows can be spead up, is this damaging to the hardware? Also, if Windows is capable of loading up quicker, then why didnt MS do it in the first place???...........and deny that Bootvis actually improves speed, when others clearly say it does.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

No, this is not safe to use in my experience.
It was one of the few programs that messed up my computer.
I should have asked about it first like you have.

There are several other ways to improve performance.

I understand Bootvis is now not supported by microsoft.....another indication to avoid it.

#3 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

Bootvis was originally designed to help computer manufacturers create Windows compatible systems. It has multiple tools to facilitate troubleshooting hardware and BIOS influences on Windows boot-up. It has only one user application, and that is to order the boot files on the disc to optimize access time during boot. To do this it uses a native, built-in function of Windows itself which deploys the defragmenter to arrange the boot files.

Windows is designed to do this automatically about every 3 days when the system has been idle for 15-20min. Many of us do not let our systems idle for this long, so this part of Idle Tasks never gets run.

Fortunately, since it is a native Windows process, Idle Tasks can be initiated manually. I have created a shortcut to this process.

Right click the desktop and select New>Shortcut. In the box that says "Type the location..." paste this: %windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

For one-time use, the above can be put into a Run box.
I don't know that it is required, but while it runs, I leave my system alone. (10-15min)

This will provide you with all the benefit that Bootvis can provide without the need to install it, and also without the risk of using it improperly and borking your system. I run it every 3 days or so, just like Windows would if I gave it a chance.

If you regularly leave your system idle for periods of time, it is unlikely that either Idle Tasks or Bootvis will provide any better boot time than you now experience.

Also please understand that Idle Tasks won't speed up the loading of your personal programs that are set to start with Windows. Those are up to you, and for that, I like WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/
Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users