Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Do These Cookies Come From?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bertram

bertram

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:09 AM

Hi, I visited my site and then ran spybot shortly afterwards. It came up with cookies from these guys casalemedia.com , statcounter,com, burstnet .com, AdRevolver. As far as I know, I do not ask for cookies, nor do I seek them. How do they get there? My only thought is that they some how arrive with Google adsense adverts. Can anyone help as I would hate to think that my site was regarded as an unsafe one

Bertram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

The cookies may be coming form your site.....

To make sure, you should clear all the cookies you have and then visit your site. That way you can be sure.

I recommend downloading ATF Cleaner by Atribune. (This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only)Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Cookies.
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Cookies
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Cookies
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Then go to your site, do another scan and tell us what happens :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 bertram

bertram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

I ran CC cleaner and got rid of the cookies and that seems to have cleared it. Spybot was showing that one came from my bookmarks so I have deleted the bookmarks as well. I went back and visited my site, ran spybot it was ok. Revisited the site and bookmarked it again, ran spybot and it is still OK.

Thanks for your help. It is a relief to see that my site is not pushing out unwanted cookies, but I am still wondering where on earth they came from?

Ah well.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them.

Cookies can be categorized as:
Trusted cookies are from sites you trust, use often, and want to be able to identify and personalize content for you.
Nuisance cookies are from those sites you do not recognize or often use but somehow it's put a cookie on your machine.
Bad cookies are those that can be linked to an ad company or something that tracks your movements across the web. They are called "profiling cookies," "persistent cookies," "long term tracking cookies," "third party tracking cookies" or "tracking cookies”.

The type of cookie that is a cause for concern is the last category because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. They are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners. Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups nor do they install malware. As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal.

Cookies can also be characterized as:
1st-Party cookies are from the web site (URL) you are visiting.
3rd-Party cookies are from another web site that places content on that 1st-party site.
Legacy Cookies are cookies that were present before IE 6.0 was installed.

"Blocking & Managing Unwanted Cookies"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bertram

bertram
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for your input. I guess they come from one of the adverts on the site. Is there any way of finding out which advert is putting them into my site?

Bertie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users