Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot download/install Firefox extensions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gaelic123

gaelic123

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:35 PM

I've been trying to download and install extensions to Firefox and cannot get them to install. They seem to download alright, but won't install. The download does have unsigned in red and gives the cautionary notice about malicious downloads from unknown sources, then I get the hourglass but that's all. I think there must be something in my settings that are preventing me from installing, but I don't know what or how to change them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary
Dell XPS 933Mhz processor, 256 RAM, Windows98se, Linksys Cable/DSL Router,
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Under tools, options, web features, you need to allow specific sites to be able to install software

#3 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

I looked under Tools>Options>Web features and the site I was trying to download from is listed as an allowed site (extensionroom.mozdev.org and www.extensionmirror.nl)
but I still wasn't able to install the extension. As I said I clicked on install and it appears to download , but when I click on install now I get an hour glass, but then nothing happens and pretty soon the hour glass goes out. I also noticed that when I click on Tools>Extensions none of the extensions show, even though I think that I have installed extensions after I reinstalled Firefox 1.0

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Mary
Norton Internet Security Anti-Virus & Firewall, Adaware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster, Spyware Guard

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:53 PM

Its possible...not definite, that this extension may not be compatible with version 1.0

You can try this extension which I know works with 1.0 and see if that installs:

http://googlebar.mozdev.org/installation.html

#5 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

I tried downloading from the link that you supplied, but it did the same thing. It looked like it was downloaded , but when I clicked on install now, I got the hourglass, but then nothing happened. After that I clicked on Tools>extensions no extensions showed.

Is there anything else that you can think of to try?

Thanks again,

Mary

#6 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

in the meantime...try right clicking, and save the link to somewhere, then open it up from ur comp...I have to do that dunno y.

#7 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:41 AM

The Trip-

I tried to right click and save it to my desktop, but when I tried to open it from the desktop I got the screen that asks what program I wanted to open it with. Usually when that comes up for me it means that I don't have the program that's needed to open with. Anyway, I don't know what to do from that point and I have no clue as to where to go from there.

I would welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Mary

#8 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:43 AM

Open Firefox and go to Tools -> Extensions. Minimize Firefox and drag the saved extension into the Extensions window.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#9 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

Hucker-

When I go to Tools>extensions nothing shows up so I can't drag anything. I know that I have installed extensions in the past, because the printer button was one of them, and yet nothing shows up under Tools>extensions. I get an hourglass for a second or two, then the hourglass goes out and nothing happens (no extensions are visible)

Any other ideas for me to try would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

#10 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

It could be a bad extension, try running in Firefox in safemode using the safemode shortcut or create a new profile.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#11 gaelic123

gaelic123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hucker-

I did as you suggested and created a new profile. I had to mess around with the bookmarks and plugins, but that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for your help,

Mary

#12 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

:thumbsup: HuckerJ, you da' man!! :flowers: Thanks for another great link.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users