Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Internet Security 2007 And Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gloworm

gloworm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hello,

Please help me to remove Norton!!!!

I was asked to look at a computer that had a recurring virus but, when I started investigating it became apparent that viruses were the least of the PC's problems because it seems as if the PC's owner literally deleted any programs that he didn't want instead of uninstalling them. Norton Internet Security 2007 was amongst them!

I'm not too fond of Norton (bad experience yonks ago) so I don't think I have the skills to sort this out.

The Windows Security Center had been disabled so I enabled it and lo and behold it decided that a Norton firewall was active (even though I don't think the the program is there?).

I did a search on Norton and Symantec and there are files all over the place (like LiveUpdate) and so, thought this simple soul, I'll just use the Norton removal tool but as I can't get to the security center I can't get the serial number/key so using Norton's app might just make things worse. I'd also thought about disabling the Norton Services and start up processes but I really don't know what am doing.

Then it gets worse - the owner of the PC hasn't got any disks for anything so reinstalling Windows is not an option either.

Ironically, I ran all the scans and found a few, very simple to delete viruses/spyware but then I thought I'd investigate why they were happening.....

Should I just kill myself?

Gloworm

:thumbsup: Just read my post and it just seemed like a long moan as I hadn't actually asked any questions - well it was 5.00am after a long frustrating night - so here goes:

Should I uninstall any remaining programs - I tried with Liveupdate but it said other Norton stuff was still registered (but it didn't give me a list)
Can I stop the services and startup programs from running?
What about the registry?
Could I download Norton again and start from scratch?

Any advice would be so welcome,
Thanks

BTW Norton Support isn't interested

Edited by gloworm, 17 September 2007 - 05:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users