Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows In Winxp Pro Drags

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:04 PM

I've reinstalled XP Pro Service Pack 2 and it seems that when I minimize and drag a window across the screen, the movement is not fluid but choppy. It is the same with both IE7 and Firfox browser when I scroll a page up and down to see the web page content....the action is not fluid as before but the page moves in "chunks".

I've checked my processor and there isn't anything hogging the CPU; it is 95% idle most of the time.

Does anyone know some things that I can check that might be causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hi SysTech Guy. This is a classic symptom of a default XP video driver being installed instead of the one provided by the video chip or video card manufacturer.

The first thing to try is to roll back the driver to the previous version. SP2 may have replaced it. The old one may be the proper one.
Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button

Click the plus sign to the left of the entry Display adapters.
You should now see an entry listing your adapter model. On my PC there are actually 2 entries with exactly the same description - I have no idea why, so don't be alarmed if you see more than 1 entry.

For each entry listed right-click on the entry and select Properties.
On the pop-up window select the Driver tab.
Click the button Roll Back Driver. Answer "No" to the question about the Troubleshooter. Click OK.
Close all the windows and restart your PC.
When fully restarted retest the motion smoothness of the windows.

The driver rollback may not fix the problem. In this case you need to reinstall the proper driver. If your PC came with a Drivers CD then run it and install the driver for the particular chip or card listed previously in the Device Manager.

If you don't have a Drivers disc then you will have to go get the driver from either the PC manufacturer or the video card manufacturer. All laptops and some desktops have video chips built-in to the motherboard, that is, they don't have a separate video card. All other desktops have a plug-in video card.

To figure out which video adapter you have: What is the make and model numberof your PC ?

_

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users