Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Owner Change Access Password On Owner's Computer From Any Computer?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 tavis7g

tavis7g

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

I purchased a new desktop operating on Windows Vista. Now, since I do all my computing from home, I have had little need of my very basic laptop. The laptop is a panasonic toughbook pc that is still operating on windows 98. I purchased it Feb. 2, 2007. I lent it to someone that has been a friend for about 1 and a half years. I lent it to friend because friend stressed the need of a computer NOW but offered to purchase it in increments LATER when financial situations could afford it.

Friend kept contact more frequently than usual to learn all of my laptop's operations. After awhile, friend's (cell phone) number changed and a variety of people are consistently saying that friend is never there at friend's known residence. Finally, some young child at friend's residence (maybe a cousin or nephew) told me that friend has moved. Now, I have no contact with friend. Friend seems to have run off with my laptop for FREE and won't respond to e-mails. I've never had this much trouble contacting friend.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS: Is there any way that I can CHANGE MY ACCESS PASSWORD ON MY LAPTOP FROM MY DESKTOP to better the chances of getting in contact with friend?

I have all the information on the laptop from the company that I purchased it from, can obtain any information that I don't have from the company that has my information on laptop purchase, and I created the original access password myself, so, I know what it is but I also gave it to friend.

Is there ANY WAY possible that an access password can be changed in this way? I will even go as far as to purchase software for this purpose if it can't be done any other way. Is there any software that can assist me? I would rather try this way first before I consider pressing charges. PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

What you seek is prohibited on BleepingComputer. We do not assist is cracking, hackig, or otherwise circumventing security measures on any computer.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

Source= Rules

Do to the nature of the topic this Topic is Closed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Friend kept contact more frequently than usual to learn all of my laptop's operations. After awhile, friend's (cell phone) number changed and a variety of people are consistently saying that friend is never there at friend's known residence. Finally, some young child at friend's residence (maybe a cousin or nephew) told me that friend has moved. Now, I have no contact with friend. Friend seems to have run off with my laptop for FREE and won't respond to e-mails. I've never had this much trouble contacting friend.

After think above your Topic I believe you only real recourse would be to get the local police involved. Not only will they be able to take possession of the computer but the courts can hold your ex-friend liable for any damages he may have caused.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users