Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Pc On My Own

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 greenhorn

greenhorn

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:31 PM

Hi,
I'm attempting to assemble a PC myself and i've never done it before. i've bought all the components including an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ and Asus M2A-VM mobo, i should be through with the assembly by tomorrow (hoping it all goes smoothly). I plan to run Windows xp. Now my problem is that i realize that once i system is built it has to be set up properly in order to perform optimally, and its not all just plug and play but i don't really know how to do it!
I have no idea what to do the first time i power up. I don't know how to set up the BIOS, i've been told i'll have to update the BIOS (or flash it!!) :thumbsup: before i do anything else. i even went to the ASUS website but there are so many versions of the updated BIOS for the M2A-VM - dont know which one to download? The mobo user guide describes a feature called ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility which seems to be the simplest. Sorry, i could go on with this for a while here..
What i really need is some help in understanding the step-by-step procedure that i'd have to follow after i push the power button for the first time, till i'm ready to load the OS (and if there's anything else i'd have to do after that). I'm sorry i might come across as a complete bafoon right now for doing this on my own, but i thought that if i can get it right it would be a great learning. plus i don't trust most of the technicians in my town as all they'd do is put it together power it up and load the OS and tell me that it's perfect.
I'd be truly grateful if someone can help me out in this.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

The only thing you have to do in the BIOS at first, is set your date and time. boot device and possibly check you memory and CPU settings. If everything is up and running and you still have problems ,a BIOS flash might be in order, but I wouldn't make it my first priority. Are you using SATA drives? You will need the driver's disk.
BIOS optimization guide This will define all the settings in the BIOS
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 greenhorn

greenhorn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

hey thanks for your advice.
Sorry for taking so long to respond i got system up and running only today. I've heard that Asus 690g mobos have a video issue that can only be resolved by a bios update, but i don't have a boot CD for XP, so how do i update the bios.
Also, on the Asus website the m2a-vm page has several bios update versions, My Bios version is 0408 so how do i choose which version to download?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users