Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Does Not Recognize Mitsumi 7 In 1 Reader

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cumbiamo

cumbiamo

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:30 PM

OK this has me frustrated. When I built my pc, I purchased a Mitsumi 7 in 1 reader to make it easy to transf pics. I'd had been working for a while but the suddely stopped. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled, went to Mitsumi's site ( http://www.mitsumi.com/enduser/1_drivers.html#FDD) and dl the driver FA 404M is the model of the Floppy.

I installed it per the manual that is on the same site. It worked once and now again the PC does not recognize. I am running MS XP Home SP2. Even after installing this driver when I go back in to device manager I just see the Microsoft Driver ... I expected I'd see something different. The floppy works its just the 6 other memory slots I get nothing from. I have checked the cables that go from the drive to the motherboard internal usb 4 pin slot. My mobo is a K8N Neo4 Platinum. I also went into my BIOs but did not really see any setting I was familiar enough to change myself. My wife is going on a reunion with family and I am in desperate need to move about 500 pictures from my camera to the PC as some pics should not be seen by her. Any advice within the next few days would be critical to my health.... :thumbsup:

Drives Memory Modules c,d
180.45 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.89 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 [CD-ROM drive]
SONY CD-RW CRX220E1 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5JV67ZN9, rev 3.06, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCALA1552097, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy

Main Circuitboard
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7125 1.0
Bus Clock: 201 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 01/12/2005

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

When you open My Computer are they showing there? They'll be listed separately
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

Nope just says "Floppy Disk Drive". When it has recognized it it is labled "removable .... " I was trying to paste a screen image her for you but could not figure out how... I think I got it ...

Posted Image

Device Driver

Posted Image

Seems the driver isn't taking or something??

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:51 AM

From the screen shot on your computer your looking at the wrong device. Yes the card readers are part of the floppy drive but they are connected to the computer through the USB port on the motherboard. You should be looking at the USB connections. After you look through the USB tab on the device manager (I didn't see any yellow exclamation points) look in Disk Management and see if they are listed there. Under the start menu go to run and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter. This will list all physical drives attached to the computer. If they are not listed try re-loading the USB drivers for the motherboard usually called the chipset drivers download the latest from the Motherboard manufacture.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:50 AM

Each reader will show up as a different drive letter i.e.
Flash - G drive
XD - H drive
MMC - I drive
MS - J drive
Mark

I know on the one I installed the cables were rather bulky. If you've moved the computer around a bit, they might have come loose
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:44 AM

The cable that went to the USB port was very easy to manipulate. I am fairly certain I installed it the right was - however maybe i should just flip it around to see if I simply inserted it in the wrong direction. I went to my Mobo mfr site and they have a live update for all drivers. Unfortunately, the few times I tried this morning it said to try to connect to the internet first or the server was busy... I thought an automated update would be easier as the manual one asks for a lot more information. However, it offers updates for BIOS and a number of other things that I might want to stay away from ... so this is the driver I was thinking of DL and installing...

NVIDIA nForce4 System Drivers Description For Win200/XP system
Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)
Network management tools
SMBus driver version 4.5(WHQL) with updated uninstaller files
Installer version 4.93
Win2K IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
Win2K IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
Win2K IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
Win2K RAIDTOOL application version 5.52
WinXP IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 5.52

I checked as instructed in Disk Management and the drives were not listed. Actually, I have never seen them listed - even the few times the drive has worked. I will report back once I install these to see if things change... BTW.. should I install these and then re-install the 7 in 1 drivers ?

#7 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

OK updated the usb drivers.. still no sign of the device ... now I see this here...

Posted Image

Let me know if I should try the Bios update as well..

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

from looking at the driver from the web page, it's for windows 2000(early sp) and windows 98, not for Wxp sp2 at all

Try removing that other device from device manager(uninstall) reboot? It's all plug and play, drivers will only mess it up.

Uninstall any entry from add/remove programs if the driver package shows there.

Edited by DaChew, 19 September 2007 - 09:18 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

I assume the other USB ports on your system work properly, yes?
What service pack does XP have, SP1? SP2? None?
If it's up to SP2 and your other USB ports work, check and make sure the wiring is correct and you don't have any loose connections.
Check for more info on that here, http://www.directron.com/installusb.html and http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_adapter.html

If all of that checks out, you probably have a dead reader.
Posted Image

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

Like I said before, my card reader shows up in My Computer as separate drives
Flash - G drive
XD - H drive
MMC - I drive
MS - J drive
I also compared your device manager to mine. Mine shows all 4 storage volumes, yours just shows the unknown device. My thinking is it's either mis-wired or the wrong driver. The floppy shows up and is working, correct?
USAMSA posted a link for an app. to identify unknown devices. I will try to hunt it down.
Mark

According to their specifications page, it's plug and play. No drivers are required. I would unplug the device, remove the unknown device in Device Manager, If SP2 is not installed, install it, Do a Windows update, and update the USB drivers. Then reinstall the unit, paying careful attention the the wire/plug orientation and see what happens, if XP detects it

Edited by garmanma, 19 September 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Yes floppy does work fine.. should I just flip the plug into the mobo? Not sure if it would cause any possible damage... ??

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

Yes floppy does work fine.. should I just flip the plug into the mobo? Not sure if it would cause any possible damage... ??

What plug are you referring to? I just edited my previous post as you posted this
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

I was referring to the 4 pin plug that goes from the floppy to the internal usb(?) port. On one end is gnd and some other descriptors. So from the floppy I have two cables one for the floppy and the other for the other card reader devices.

I do have sp2 installed. Will update windows and proceed as indicated...

P.S. Congrats on the new addition to your family !!

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:08 PM

No, don't flip it. I can't find a pinout on the Mitsumi and I haven't looked at the USB pinout for your mobo, yet. Does the USB plug from the unit list each wire separately? I'm also searching the archives. Another person had the exact same problem a few months ago and we got him running. I just don't remember what we did
Than you, mother and grand-daughter are doing very well
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#15 cumbiamo

cumbiamo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for all your time... here is my usb on main

Posted Image

and the main itself.. I think I am pluggin in to uSB 2 .. will verify correct plug in
Posted Image

the 4 pin plug from the floppy does have 4 markings.. GND, and three others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users