Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program Freakouts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hey BC!
As found in a Windows Vista thread about Thick Diagonal Lines, I am helping a friend get a homemade computer ready to go. He has installed 1 whole GB of RAM now. He is trying to get on the Internet to download Vista-compatible video drivers, but when he does, he is informed he is doing a no-no with the following error:

"Error! Can't continue due to low memory. Please close and restart the program, or if needed, restart the computer and try again."

And all programs crash on him. The Welcome Center screen does recognize the 1 GB of RAM, and he does have the correct type of RAM installed.
Help!

-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

Try running memtest and make sure all the ram is working properly. Download the file here . The file download is a ISO you will need to use Nero or another suitable program to burn the ISO image onto a cd then reboot the computer with the CD in the drive. If the computer is not set to boot from the cd first you will need to set it up to do so. You can change the boot priority in the BIO's menu.

Edit: according to your post you have 1gb of ram installed. Is the computer using it all? with the computer idle with the desk top showing bring up the task manager, press ctrl alt del and click the performance tab. This will show how much ram is being recognized by windows and how much is being used and is available.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 17 September 2007 - 07:44 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

Well, my friend recorrected me. All programs work EXCEPT AOL. My thoughts: the AOL version he is running is not compatible with Vista. So, I think I'll just have him see if Compatibility Mode does any good.
Thanks for all your help - I'll get back if I need anything else!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:43 AM

The newest version of AOL is vista ready. Whatever that means. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:05 AM

remember aol includes a lot of anti-malware applications, they are a real pain and I have had to disable all my standard ones
so the aol could have control of the computer, like fred langa said "long ago and far away" after meeting with aol, they assume their customers are only using their software and noone else's
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, he gets AOL since that is his dial-up bundle package, though. It is "complementary" ;). I assume the version he has is not the newest because of the fact that it came for dial-up. I'm a little shady on the details, so if AOL won't work in compatibility mode, I don't see why he can't just use IE7 for the time being.

He may get high-speed Internet, in which case I will be sure to smack Firefox in his face.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:00 AM

Had an issue with a customer yesterday with the AOL software and Vista - we made sure that she had the latest version (I think it was 9.0 VX or VR) that said it works with Vista on it. You can get them for free at most major retailers.

Also, had some doubts as to the compatibility of the networkability (is that even a word?) between the PC and AOL servers - so we threw in the 3 standard Vista mods for compatibility with older networks:
1) Disabled the IP Helper service in services.msc
2) Disabled IPv6 for the dialup adapter
3) Disabled the DHCP Broadcast Flag for all interfaces using this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Haven't heard back from her yet, so I'm hoping that it worked!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanks, I'll check that out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users