Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Handycam Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlakMagic

BlakMagic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:22 PM

HI!

I have been using my digital camcorder (Sony HandyCam MiniDV) with my desktop for a few years. All I do is connect my camera to the firewire card and click it on VCR mode and windows then recognizes it.

I just recently purchased a laptop (Sony VAIO) but it did not come with a firewire port.

(http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815123013)

That is the card I just purchased. When I plug it in the computer recognizes it and makes the whole plug-n-play noise ( like it does with my camera on my desktop)

Then I proceede to plug in my camera and turn it on VCR mode and I don't get anything.

I did not specifically install any drivers onto my laptop, and I may have my desktop but it was a long time ago so I don't recall.

The camera I have is an older one and sony.com doesn't offer drivers for it anymore (DCR-TRV20 MiniDv Sony Handycam)

So what I did in an attempt to be smart was take the driver from my desktop and put it on my laptop through the network. Windows/system32/drivers.

I don't even know if it was the right driver but it said like sonydcam.something

Anyways I really am at a loss on how to get my computer to recognize the camera.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlakMagic

BlakMagic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

Hey mate!

In theory the PCMCIA card that you brought should work fine, no drivers or config requried. However we are talking about a Sony computer here, so you'll probably need somr driver that they have discontinued supporting.

Its good to know that Windows recognised it as it plays its plug and play tune, so thats all well and good. Its worth looking in your manual for your camcorder to see if you do need to install anything. Secondly try looking at the [urlhttp://www.sabrent.com/products/index.htm]Sabrent's website[/url] for any other info. It could be that you might have a duff card in that the prots might not work or maybe try using a different cable.

Hope that helps.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users