Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error: 0x00000024

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redgirl

redgirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

When starting windows xp recieve the following error message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first tie you've seeb this Stop error screen, restart yourn computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF9E8A3D0, 0xF9910F81)

*** Ntfs.sys - Address mF9910F81 base at F98C1000, DateStamp 41107eea

I've ran scan disk and found no errors. I am unable to disable or uninstall the anti-virus, disk deframentagion or backup utilities as I can not access windows.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

Have you tried booting in to safe mode?

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work.

If you still can not get into windows try Last Known Good Configuration

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

Hi . The solution may be one of these:
Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages MS KB228888 article
Run the Recovery Console from an XP Installation disc and manually copy a new NTFS.SYS file (The hard, but very fast way)

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, replace the missing or corrupted Ntfs.sys file:1. Use the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD to restart your computer.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to select the To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R option.
3. Type the number of the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console, and then press ENTER.
4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted, and then press ENTER. If no administrator password exists, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the following commands (press ENTER after each command):
cd \windows\system32\drivers

ren ntfs.sys ntfs.old
Note This step renames the corrupted Ntfs.sys file to Ntfs.old. If the Ntfs.sys file is not found, the file is missing.
6. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
copy cd:\i386\ntfs.sys drive:\windows\system32\drivers
Where cd is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD, and drive is the drive where you installed Windows XP.
7. Remove the Windows XP CD from your CD-ROM drive, type quit at a command prompt, and then press ENTER to quit the Recovery Console.
8. Restart the computer.

Run the Recovery Console from an XP Installation disc and then run SFC /SCANNOW

The MS KB822800 article that details the "hard way" solution

_

Edited by KoanYorel, 16 September 2007 - 10:40 AM.
Code edit

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

From this link ( http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x24 )

-There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted.
-Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software.
-I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities.
-Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version.
-Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

I'd suggest:
1) Running a disk diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer's website
2) Defrag the hard drive
3) Disable any drive mirroring and anti-virus software (TEMPORARILY)
4) Running chkdsk /f /r
5) Checking the file properties/version of NTFS.SYS as described above
6) Update all of your drivers (or disconnect any devices that you can't update)

Edited by usasma, 17 September 2007 - 05:21 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users